Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Economy for the Christian Home by Mrs.Sharon White

Thank you Mrs. White for this review copy.

Are you acquainted with Mrs. Sharon White? You really must meet her. She writes one of the most lovely, delightfully old-fashioned, inspiring homemaking blogs I've read .The Legacy of Home is one of the few blogs that I have read through as many old posts as I can. I won't say I've read all of it, but a few years ago, I read avidly until I had read nearly all of it. In fact, I spent a nice half an hour just the other evening doing it again.

Why? Godly homemaking advice from a wife and mother who is committed to God, her husband, her children, and her home is rare. Mrs. White has lived through really tough times financially. She shares an abundance of wisdom gathered from years of experience. She's real.

A few years ago, Mrs. White began putting her wisdom into books. I've had the privilege of reviewing two of her books,  Mother's Faith—Essays, Lamentations, and Encouragement from a Christian Mother of Waywards   and Living on His Income—Remembrances and Advice for the Christian Housewife. 

Economy for the Christian Home—A 12 Week Challenge for Wives to Increase Charitable Giving is a testimony to her love of God and love of people. The challenge is to live in a frugal, thrifty way in order to have resources to give to others in need. Pennies and dollars add up.  Yes, pennies. She doesn't discount pennies in the effort to save to give. She explains how to help your child save, give and serve, too.

Yankee ingenuity and thrift are encouraged to help free up hard earned dollars for giving. There is an encouraging quote, a devotion, a challenge, and a homework assignment for each week. She addresses other ways to give such as making things for others and taking meals to those in need. She also includes forms to keep track of your expenditures from your household account.

Having spent the last several years in reduced circumstances, as Mrs. White would say, I find it hard to have enough left over to give beyond our tithes very much. Mrs. White has challenged me to find ways to give by saving small amounts at a time as well as doing for others.

This is a slim volume, just 110 pages, but it is full counter-cultural wisdom from bygone days. You can find it on Amazon.

Thank you Mrs. White for allowing me to review this gem of a book.

Laura
Blessed to be a Blessing

110 pages, paperback
Books by Mrs. Sharon White

Old Fashioned Motherhood
Living on His Income
Mother's Faith
Early Morning Revival Challenge
For the Love of Christian Homemaking


 *Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Mrs. White. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


9 comments:

  1. She sounds like a very kind lady.
    I need to save more, as you mentioned, to share more.
    I will work on that one too, thank you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mrs.White's blog.
    I appreciate so much that she shares her wisdom with us.
    She always seems to make the best of things and doesn't
    complain. I have read her blog for years and learned so much.
    I am glad that she is putting some of her wisdom in a book for
    us.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! I love Mrs White - her blog is such a blessing. It was one of the first blogs I started reading and, like you, I have spent many hours reading over all her wonderful posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Mrs White's previous book 'For the Love of Christian Homemaking' and one of the things I liked about it was that each chapter was very short but encouraging, and was very suitable for reading just before going to bed. This one sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds like an amazing inspiring woman! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of this but defintly want to read it.Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. Sounds like such a great resource. Thanks for sharing on Literacy Musing Mondays.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I'm taking a short spring break, so I will have a lot of messages when I get back online. If you would like a reply to your comment, please be sure to leave your email address and ask me for a response. I moderate all comments, so it your comments won't show on the blog until I get back in the swing of things.

Thanks so much for your patience!

It will be good for me to unplug for a bit. Know what I mean?
Be blessed!
Laura