Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Old Fashioned, Chivalry Makes a Comeback, A Romantic-Drama, DVD

Thank you Flyby for this review copy.
OLD FASHIONED 
was unlike any other romantic movie I've ever seen!

~About the Movie~ 
OLD FASHIONED centers on Clay Walsh, a former frat boy who gives up his reckless carousing and now runs an antique shop in a small Midwestern college town. There, he has become notorious for his lofty and outdated theories on love and romance as well as for his devout belief in God. When Amber Hewson, a free-spirited young woman with a restless soul, drifts into the area and rents the apartment above his shop, she finds herself surprisingly drawn to his strong faith and noble ideas, which are new and intriguing to her. And Clay, though he tries to fight and deny it, simply cannot resist being attracted to her spontaneous and passionate embrace of life. Ultimately, Clay must step out from behind his relational theories and Amber must overcome her own fears and deep wounds as the two of them, together, attempt the impossible: an "old-fashioned" and God-honoring courtship in contemporary America. 

~ My Thoughts~
I loved this movie!
This movie was art. 
The music was art.
The cinematography was art.
The unusual way of interspersing scenes was art.
I find it hard to describe...
You're in the middle of a scene,
you suddenly switch to another,
then back to the first repeating until the scenes have finished.
I've never seen it done like this. Amazingly, it worked.
It was like listening to private thoughts.
The chemistry between the characters was art.
The scenery was gorgeous.
The antique shop, the apartment, the town made me want to move there!
Where is it?
The story was beautiful. 
It was so real. 
It addressed real life issues and the baggage that comes from a life of self-centered sin,
no matter the form.
Real Christianity and faith was portrayed clear but natural way.
It showed progression, growth, building trust, taking a leap of faith.
It was just beautiful.

You'll soon read my review of the novelization of the movie. I read the novel first just because that's the way I like to do it. The movie screenplay was written first, then the novelization, and finally the devotional book. Obviously, there was more detail in the novel. Reading it first made me appreciate nuances of scenes that I might not otherwise have caught. But, this movie stands on it's own. It's complete. It's charming. I liked it a lot. I'll definitely watch it again.

Now, about the PG13 rating.
Take it seriously.
This isn't a movie for kids or young teens.
Since I read the book first, and had read details, I chose not to allow any of my teens to watch it with me the first time. My husband and I have a long standing rule about previewing movies. I was nervous about how much of Clay's frat life from nine years earlier would be shown. These scenes were handled very tastefully. You got the gist of what was going on without seeing skin.
After watching this movie, I will allow my seventeen year old daughter to watch it. It will make her aware of some things to avoid and also how beautiful a pure romance can be. I'll probably have my other teens wait until they're a bit older. 



Watch for my book review later this month. 
I'll be giving away the book, the devotional and the movie to one lucky winner.
Dove approved (12+). Approx. 2 hours.


Disclosure: I was sent a sample of this product for review purposes only. I was not compensated in any way. All opinions are my own based on my experience with this product. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."



16 comments:

  1. You see Laura...just like you shared about learning from other ladies, I have learned about this movie :0) I just put it on my Netflix account to watch on my next shipment....thank you for sharing it! mari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are a good Mama, you do need to be careful with your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a refreshing thing to hear someone else previews too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear more details about that movie. Looking forward to seeing it. Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a feel good movie, Phyllis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww, sounds like the perfect romantic movie! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great movie, thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays Laura, blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great movie, thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays Laura, blessings

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was, Connie.
    It was pretty good. I can't get my honey to watch it, Jann.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Love this movie too! My husband and I are supposed to write a review about it. Of our own free will. Seems like deadlines are a good thing sometimes. :P
    I'd love to know when your giveaway for the novel is. I'm very interested in reading it.
    Thanks for linking up with Grace & Truth!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura