Saturday, June 27, 2015

Old Fashioned, The Novelization &The Old Fashioned Way Devotional Review

Thank you FlyBy for this review copy.
It's not an unusual thing for a movie to be made after a novel becomes popular. Old Fashioned is different. The screenplay for the movie was written first. The novel shows the story in much more detail. You may read my review of the movie here. 

The Old Fashioned Way is a devotional to help the reader evaluate their actions not only toward a date, but also toward themselves and others. 

About the novel Old Fashioned:  
Softcover; 303 pages 
Turning his back on his reckless lifestyle, former frat boy Clay Walsh has settled down to turn an antique shop in a small Midwestern college town....and to purse lofty and outdated theories on love and romance.  But when Amber Hewson, a free-spirited woman with a gypsy soul, rents the apartment above his shop, Clay can't help being attracted to her spontaneous and passionate embrace of life.  Amber also finds herself surprisingly drawn to Clay, but his ideas about relationships are unusual to say the least, and they bring to light her own deep wounds and fears about love.  They say opposites attract, but can Clay and Amber move beyond their differences and their pasts to attempt an "old fashioned" courtship?


My thoughts:

Old Fashioned is a beautiful story of God's redemptive power. This was not what I expected. I thought it was going to be a romantic depiction of what old-fashioned courting can look like today. In a way, it was, but it was more.The focus was more on the how of getting past our past— even after it's been covered by the blood of Jesus and forgiven. Our memories have a lot of power over us. 

It has some very dramatic, intense scenes that were not included in detail in the movie when I watched it. It was pretty graphic for this gal, but I'm sure many readers may not think so. I think that the book definitely earns the movie's PG 13 rating. I will not allow my daughters to read this. Yes, my elder daughter is 17, but she hasn't been exposed to the type of behavior referenced in Clay's past. I see no reason to expose her to it at this time. After reading this book, which I did prior to watching the movie, I knew I needed to prescreen the movie. I'm glad I did. I found that the scenes I worried about were handled as benignly as possible. It might be good for a senior to read this book if they are planning to go away to school just to show them a possible pitfall of college. 


Thank you FlyBy for this review copy.
About The Old Fashioned Way devotional:
Softcover; 222 pages 
Contrary to popular opinion, being "old fashioned" doesn't mean you're dull or unromantic.  In fact, a true old fashioned relationship can be more exciting and romantic than anything you've ever experienced!  So what does it mean to do things the old fashioned way?  Sure, it means opening doors, holding out chairs, and taking things slow.  But a true old fashioned romance goes much, much deeper than that.  Inspired by the motion picture Old Fashioned, this book will show you how to reclaim the lost art of romance by introducing you to romantic love as God intended it.  Regardless of your past mistakes, where you've been, what you've done, or where you are now, you can find and create a love that will last a lifetime!  As you work your way through this forty-day journey of inspiring readings and questions for reflection, you'll discover all the unique and amazing benefits of doing things the old fashioned way.  And before you know it, you'll be well on your way to creating a love story for the ages.  
My thoughts:

The Old Fashioned Way, written by Ginger Kolbaba, is a forty day devotional book designed to help you think through not only what you think about dating and the things involved but also what God thinks about dating and the things involved. She holds that the old fashioned way is still good for today.

Some of the topics:
  • boundaries
  • respect
  • guilt
  • chivalry
  • noble character
  • modesty
  • accountability
  • compatibility
  • love
  • motives
  • purpose of marriage
One thing that surprised me in the book was her endorsement of the on-line matchmaking services. She feels that the services help to match people up better than just a random meeting. I'd never really thought about that. I suppose, if it were a Christian service, it could be helpful. She also addressed respect for self and others.  She dove right into the issue of people texting or being on their phones instead of paying attention to the people they're with. Bravo! Big pet peeve here!

I think that married or unmarried people will find value in this book.

#oldfashionedmovie


22 comments:

  1. Drink coffee and enjoy a quiet night at home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drive around on the back roads with my Sweetie & picnic, esp. certain roads, grin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annie,
    My hubby likes to drive, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to sit by the ocean and enjoy the ocean sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Laura! I have not been on in forever, so I'm trying to catch up on most posts. It's been a busy summer and I really haven't felt like being on the computer much. I guess we all go through seasons, right?

    This movie looks like a good one to see. Might have to do that when it comes to our town.

    I hope you are doing well and are enjoying your summer. We have lots planned and lots to do yet. So happy we are taking a week to just putz and do a few small day trips. We were gonna go camping, but decided to stay home. God always has a plan and I think in the end we will be happy we stayed close to home.

    I hope you have a wonderful and safe Independence Day!

    Hugs to you, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I like to go out to dinner in the next town over, and then walk around and get coffee and gelato.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy,
    Sounds like fun. I need to plan some fun things. We're still finishing straggling subjects.
    Hope to take a couple of weeks off in July.
    Blessings!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. We like to go to the drive-in movies or to events like drinking and painting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many kinds of things would interest me for date nights. None interest DH so we have none.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A dinner out and then a movie or a show makes a great date night.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It feels so special too Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love to go out to eat with my husband, then go some place to really talk and pour out our hearts. Thanks for the chance to win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love going to dinner with my husband followed by a nice walk on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a beautiful love story! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me too, when I can find good ones Breanna.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura