Saturday, July 18, 2015

Murder Freshly Baked by Vannetta Chapman

Thank you BookLook for this review copy.
  Murder Freshly Baked by Vanetta Chapman is cozy mystery set in the Amish artisan village of Middlebury, Indiana. It's a real town, with a real Pumpkinvine Nature Trail, just shy of seven miles from Shipshewana, Indiana. Shipshewana might sound familiar if you read The Shipshewana Amish Mysteries.

  Amber, the English manager of The Amish Artisan Village, was disturbed to receive threatening e-mails with bad verse promising to poison pies in the village bakery. She was further upset when a pie showed up at the bakery with a skull and crossbones on top. Hannah, Amber's Amish friend and co-worker, finds herself caught up in the mystery as more poisoned pie with poetry appear.  he threats increase as Amber tries to figure out who done it and how to protect her friends and her husband.
  
There are some back stories, with other characters, going on that seem unrelated, but they tie in near the end of the book. Preston suffers from PTSD. His story is the most amazing part of the whole book. The book is written in frame narrative, so you know the crime long before it's committed. 

~ My Thoughts ~

  • I didn't realize that this book was the third in a series when I ordered it.
  • I felt like I was missing part of the story, because I read it as a stand alone book.
  • Chapman did fill in necessary details regarding previous events, but I still felt like a latecomer.
  • I really liked the main characters, Amber, Hannah, Preston, and Pam. They were just nice folks I'd like to meet if they lived near me.
  • I did not find it a compelling read.
  • I think if I had read the first two books, I might have enjoyed it more. I would have known the characters and their stories better.
  • It had some interesting scenes, but some just seemed thrown in, too. 
  • I found myself tiring of the story.
  • I figured out who done it early even though some decoys were introduced near the end.
  • I found Preston's story inspiring.
I cannot recommend the book unless you try the first two books first. It just didn't really keep me turning pages.

Vanetta Chapman is author of the Shipshewana mystery series.  
Read my reviews of her books, Falling to PiecesA Perfect Square, and Material Witness.

~ From the Publisher~

Book Description

When delicious baked goods become lethal, it's time to find a killer.
Kindness is a virtue Meanness is a sin Better watch your bakery pies For poison I've slipped in
The Amish Artisan Village in Middlebury, Indiana, has been decorated with every color of balloon and flower for the Race for a Cure. As manager of the Village, Amber Bowman is thrilled to see the turnout-and relieved to have something to distract her from the "Poison Poet"-an individual who has been sending notes containing bad poetry to warn of poisoned baked goods.
Then Ryan Duvall crosses the finish line of the race-and falls down dead, murdered in broad daylight. But who did it? And why? The police suspect Preston Johnston, but Amber refuses to believe her employee could do such a thing.
Amber once again looks to her young Amish friend Hannah Troyer to help her find the killer-and to determine if it's the same person leaving the cryptic poems and pies. Can they help the police before the Poison Poet strikes again? Both Amber and Hannah will need to draw on their faith as they fight to preserve the peaceful community they've built at the Amish Artisan Village.
About the Author
Vannetta Chapman is author of the best-selling novel A Simple Amish Christmas. She has published over one hundred articles in Christian family magazines, receiving over two dozen awards from Romance Writers of America chapter groups. In 2012 she was awarded a Carol Award for Falling to Pieces. She discovered her love for the Amish while researching her grandfather’s birthplace of Albion, Pennsylvania. Visit Vannetta's webiste: www.vannettachapman.com Twitter: @VannettaChapman Facebook: VannettaChapmanBooks


I review for BookLook Bloggers
"I received this product for free in exchange for an honest review.   I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."




 Living Proverbs 31 Literacy Musing Mondays  - Mama Moments Monday

3 comments:

  1. I like cozy mysteries. I haven't read Amish in a long time, but this sounds interesting. I may try the first book and see what I think. Thanks for sharing! Good review. :)
    Found you on Literacy Musing Mondays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thanks for Linking up with Literacy Musing Mondays. :) I love your reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura