Thursday, October 1, 2015

Chivalrous by Dina Sleiman ~ Intense, Though Provoking, Redemptive

Thank you Baker Publishing & Bethany House for this review copy.
Chivalrous was an intense, thought provoking, redemptive story of love, trust, hope, loss, fear, faith, gains, losses, and the power of God's influence through His people. Sounds like the stuff life is made of, doesn't it? Some thoughts about Chivalrous....
  • Intensity of troubles that I couldn't see a way through
  • Strong central characters each faced a weakness and temptation to sin
  • The characters didn't seem super human even though they faced horrible circumstances and foes
  • There was a depth to not only the main characters but several of the supporting characters
  • I learned about the prevailing view and treatment of women in England in the medieval period.
  • I learned more about the influence of the Church during the period though it was not a primary theme.
  • It was a good example of how victims of domestic abuse can think and act and overcome.
  • Strengths and weaknesses of character strengthened the story.
  • God's plan of redemption was beautifully interwoven throughout the story
  • Unpredictable storyline
  • I would have like to have read the first book, but this book did stand alone. Now I hope there's another book. ~smile~
About
With Her Future In Jeopardy, This Unforgettable Heroine Won't Go Down Without a Fight!
Strong and adventurous Gwendolyn Barnes longs to be a knight like her chivalrous brothers, but her parents view her only as a marriage pawn. When her domineering father makes plans to see her wed to a brutish man, Gwendolyn must fight for her future.

She's surprised, however, for that clash to include a handsome, good-hearted newcomer. Allen of Ellsworth arrives in Edendale searching for his place in the world, but he finds in Gwendolyn the most unexpected of women.

Tournaments, intrigue, and battles--along with twists and turns aplenty--await these two as they struggle to find love, identity, and their true destinies.
Excerpt
Author Q & A
Paperback or E-book $12.99

Photo Credit: © Silly Little Sparrow Photos
 Dina L. Sleiman holds an MA in professional writing from Regent University and a BA in communications with a minor in English from Oral Roberts University. Over the past eighteen years, she has had opportunities to teach college writing and literature, as well...
Continue reading about Dina L. Sleiman


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. I love stories where the characters have depth to them - I LARP, and it's great to go up against a character who isn't just two dimensional. Shall have to check out this book when I'm done with my current novel :)

    ~ Linking over from Weekend Blog Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. I reviewed this book, too. I agree with you that the weaving in of God's redemptive story was a definite strength. I did not think all the sub-plot lines were fully resolved, though. Overall, I gave it 4/5 stars.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I'm taking a short spring break, so I will have a lot of messages when I get back online. If you would like a reply to your comment, please be sure to leave your email address and ask me for a response. I moderate all comments, so it your comments won't show on the blog until I get back in the swing of things.

Thanks so much for your patience!

It will be good for me to unplug for a bit. Know what I mean?
Be blessed!
Laura