Monday, November 2, 2015

Faith of Our Fathers DVD Review

A PUREFLIX film, FAITH OF OUR FATHERS.

I'm going to be honest. I didn't want to watch this movie. The trailer was excellent and my guys really wanted to see it, so I signed up to review it. Then, when it arrived, I put them off for a couple of weeks. Why? I really don't like war movies. I avoid them just like I would a thriller or horror movie. Knowing that I had to write the review, I reluctantly agreed to watch the movie. I was surprised.

My Husband's Thoughts:
"At first I was thinking, 'Oh, another war movie', but I really enjoyed this movie. Pureflix did an excellent job. The acting was good, the story line kept my attention.  Kevin Downes and David A.R. White were excellent. They were a little comical at first, but as the movie progressed, they did some great acting. The message was very clear and they did a great job of delivering. I rate this a 4 out of 5 movie."

My 16 Year Old Son's Thoughts:
"I thought that was a really good show. Acting was good, a lot of times these Christian movies are kinda corny. This wasn't that way. They did a good job with 'Nam scenes. The scene with him cutting off the roof with his chainsaw was not very accurate. Chainsaws don't really do metal well, but other than that, 5 stars."

My Thoughts: 
The story moved back and forth through past Vietnam scenes with the fathers and present scenes with the sons. Yes, the Vietnam scenes were intense. I didn't like them, but they were done in a way that portrayed what it was like without excessive bloody details. Still, I would preview it before you allow your young teens to watch it. I don't think they actually filmed it in Vietnam, but it looked comparable to what I've seen in photos and movies.

I was surprised to find a sprinkling of funny moments scattered through the movie. They helped to lighten what could have been a very heavy movie. The contrast between John Paul, the nice guy, and Wayne, the angry guy who seemed bent on irritating John Paul was at times tense and at times rather funny. Wayne was one of the most unreasonable rednecks I'd ever seen. He was in strong contrast to John Paul who was a bit of a pushover. Together, they managed to make what should have been a simple drive to Washington, D.C. into a fiasco. But God.

I can't skip mentioning Si Robertson. He was in a couple of scenes that were just plain funny.

Watch the trailer, see what you think. I thought it was a 5 star movie. The quality was excellent. PUREFLIX has really made a professional movie.

About the movie:
John Paul and Wayne are two young men in search of their fathers.  Problem is...their fathers have been dead for 25 years.  Eddie and Steven are two young men in search of their sons...whom they've never met.  In 1969, Eddie and Steven are with their squad deep in the jungle of Vietnam on a five-day mission to retrieve fallen comrades.  They write letters to their wives, often mentioning their love for their sons, one, who is an infant and one yet to be born.  In 1994, John Paul and Wayne go on a five day road trip to the Vietnam Wall in Washington DC to see their fathers' names.  Along the way, reading those letters, they begin to get an understanding of who their fathers were and how they died.  Trials and mishaps, both funny and sad, complicate the road trip for the boys.  The horrors of war and the testing of faith manifest themselves for the young men in Vietnam.  Ultimately, in parallel stories - 25 years apart - the fathers and sons are bound together forever.  

Runtime: 96 minutes
Genre: Drama
Rating: PG-13 (for brief war violence)

Starring: Stephen Baldwin, Kevin Downes, David A.R. White, Rebecca St. James, Si Robertson, Candace Cameron Bure, Scott Whyte, and Sean McGowan.

Special Features of the DVD:
-The Heart of Faith of Our Fathers
-Honoring Father's Day
-Commemorating Memorial Day
-Si Robertson Interview
-Stephen Baldwin Interview

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SOCIAL • CORNER


Disclosure: I was sent a sample of this product for review purposes only. I was not compensated in any way. All opinions are my own based on my experience with this product. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."



This article was featured in issue #130 of
The Christian Home Magazine.


20 comments:

  1. We'll have to check that out. Thanks for the review by the fam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful to see the increase in wholesome shows that are coming out. God's Not Dead is so good, and so is Do You Believe. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity to win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen Do You Believe, but I thought God's not dead was excellent, Cheryl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to find decent movies these days, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its hard to pick a favorite movie. My family really loves the film Inherit The Land. We have watched it many times.

    PS. The hammock showed up in the mail recently. I will have to figure out somewhere to hang it up in the Spring.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just realized that I don't think I was supposed to enter this giveaway, since I won your last giveaway. I don't know how to remove myself from the entry.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  7. For family night we enjoy playing card games. We really like Dutch Blitz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome Annie. You're right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For family night we love eating pizza and doing puzzles!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be a great date night film for our 15 year anniversary coming up DEC. 9th. We rarely have a night without the kids but we have this one circled on the calendar. Having a nephew actively serving now makes it even more special. Sounds like a great film. Thanks for the opportunity to win it. Have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like a great movie. I think we would all enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My little guys are really into Veggie tales. For family night we watched the Very Silly Songs movie. The kids love to sing along and dance to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite family movie is Facing The Giants.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a hard time with violent movies, too, but I bet my guys would love this one! So great to see so many good Christian films being put out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, my daughter 15 loved this. They did the violence in a tasteful way. The focus was on the draw one character felt to Jesus during the time.
      God bless!

      Delete
  15. Looks good. We really like Stephen Baldwin. His life is a great testimony.
    Blessings
    Mrs.O

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura