Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The Ology, Ancient Truths Ever New by Marty Machowski

Thank you Litfuse for this complimentary review copy.
About The Ology
by  Marty Machowski

Children's Nonfiction
New Growth Press 

In the cellar of an old stone cathedral, two children discover an ancient book called The Ology. The beautifully illustrated storybook ushers them into a story of adventure, mystery, and wonder in which they discover life-changing truths about God, themselves, and the world around them. The first illustrated systematic theology book designed especially for grade-school children, The Ology includes built-in adaptations for use with younger or older children, so that entire families can enjoy learning about God together.

 Meet the Author
Marty Machowski is a Family Life Pastor at Covenant Fellowship Church in Glen Mills, Pennsylvania, where he has served on the pastoral staff for over twenty-five years. He is the author of Prepare Him Room a family Christmas devotional and curriculum, the Gospel Story for Kids series including The Gospel Story Bible, two family devotionals, Long Story Short and Old Story New, and the Gospel Story Curriculum. He and his wife Lois and their six children reside in the West Chester, Pennsylvania area. 


My Thoughts:
This is a well made sturdy book intended to last through many years and readings. It is a skillful introduction to the deep and exceptionally important subject of theology. The subject is introduced by two children finding an ancient book which changes into a modern book. That is the extent of the fairy tale. The remainder is theology broken down into short one page chapters that a child who reads chapter books could read to himself. I think it would be more engaging if the parent or grandparent read a selection then asked the child to retell it Charlotte Mason style. The illustrations are similar in style to the ones shown on the cover. Extra Bible verses are suggested to enhance learning. I do not have young children, but I may have my older children read through it to be sure they haven't missed anything. I believe this to be a book that would be acceptable to most denominations. Want to see what he believes? I found his church's statement of faith here. I tell you not to judge him, but to let you see if this will line up with what you wish to teach your children. Target audience is 6 through preteen.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.




Literacy Musing Monday











9 comments:

  1. Hello, I have been very interested in Theology as I have watched so many false doctrines infiltrated the church and the true Gospel distorted.
    May I suggest a commentary that will allow a full discourse on verses in context and can stop a false belief of so many scriptures taken out of context. We need theology more than ever!
    Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they'll make it into a movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Laura,

    Just stopping in to say "Hi" and let you know that I am thinking of you.

    :)Hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless your heart Hope. May God reveal new truth to you regarding our savior Jesus Christ in Jesus' Name. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  5. An excellent suggestion Roxy. Do you have a commentary in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Laura,

    Yes, she was inspirational for sure!

    I love the way she ironed the clothing even when no one but they would see themselves. I am always amazed how she could stay so spotless while she worked. I always make such a mess when I cook. Flour gets everywhere!

    May we be as cheerful and resourceful as Ma!

    I hope you are enjoying a peaceful Sunday.
    :) Hope

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like an interesting book. I used to teach 5th grade, and I my students enjoyed when I read from a book of Bible stories from a similar format. I have heard good things about Prepare Him Room too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hope,
    I wonder if she really was able to stay so clean. It seems impossible out on the prairie to me.
    Blessings,
    Laura
    who can't seem to find time to iron.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seems like a great book to teach weighty topics. Thanks for stopping by Literacy Musing Mondays.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura