Monday, January 18, 2016

Colleen Coble's Mermaid Moon

Thank you Litfuse for this review copy.
If I'd had a day to myself, I might have read this novel through in one sitting! I've never read any of Colleen Coble's cowboy meets cowgirl stories, but I have really enjoyed her Sunset Cove novels set in Maine. Last spring I read Inn at Ocean's Edge and was mesmerized by her ability to write complex plots that interweave.

Mermaid Moon is the second Sunset Cove novel. While not quite as complex as Inn at Ocean's Edge, Mrs. Coble has written another gripping suspense novel. It felt like stepping back into the familiar community and learning a bit about Maine culture as well. After the tragic and suspicious death of her father, Mallory returned to her hometown to find herself entangled not only in settling her father's affairs, but in searching for his killer. All this in dreadfully uncomfortable proximity to her old fiance Kevin. It becomes an anxious race to find the killer before the killer finds Mallory. There were a couple surprises and some dead ends. A few details seemed superfluous then turned out to be important later. I liked this book a lot.

Although I highly recommend reading the books in order, Mermaid Moon will stand alone. Reversing the order will be a bit of a spoiler for the first book. So get them both and enjoy some long winter evenings curled up with a couple of really good books and a good cup of hot tea or cocoa. Just don't forget to lock the doors first....

About the book: 
Mermaid Moon (Thomas Nelson, January 2016)

Mallory's mother died fifteen years ago. But her father's last words on the phone were unmistakable: "Find . . . mother."

Shame and confusion have kept Mallory Davis from her home for the last fifteen years, but when her dad mysteriously dies on his mail boat route, she doesn't have any choice but to go back to Mermaid Point.

Mallory believes her father was murdered and childhood sweetheart Kevin O'Connor, game warden in Downeast Maine, confirms her suspicions. But Kevin is wary of helping Mallory in her search. She broke his heart---and left---without a word, years ago.

When Mallory begins receiving threats on her own life---and her beloved teenage daughter, Haylie---their search intensifies. There's a tangled web within the supposed murder, and it involves much more than what meets the eye.

As answers begin to fall into place, Mallory realizes her search is about more than finding her father's killer---it is also about finding herself again . . . and possibly about healing what was broken so long ago with Kevin. She just has to stay alive long enough to put all the pieces together.
About the author: 
USA Today bestselling author Colleen Coble has written several romantic suspense novels including Tidewater Inn,Rosemary Cottage, and the Mercy Falls, Lonestar, and Rock Harbor series. Her books have sold more than 3 million copies.

Connect with Coble: websiteTwitterFacebook






I received this book in exchange for an honest review.







Reading WednesdayNo Rules Weekend Blog Party Literacy Musing Mondays

15 comments:

  1. I think I would like to read this book, it sounds interesting, ans intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read her. But I love these types of books. I would read it I am sure. Thank you for sharing. I would love to read and review books. That is so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there! This sounds like a good book. I'm still trying to read the book I started months ago. It's been busy around here and I can't seem to find time to actually read. :)
    And in answer to your question you left me on my post, yes Roxy lives right next door to me. I'm blessed to have her so close and to enjoy her company daily for tea. Now all we need is for you to stop by and join us. :) Wouldn't that just be lovely?

    I hope you enjoy your week, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,
    Oh how wonderful Amy! I wish I lived close. I'd love to drop in. Who knows? Maybe someday.

    Remember this post I wrote for you about finding time to read?
    Five Ways to Find Time to Read
    http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2014/02/five-ways-to-find-time-to-read.html

    I remember a time when the only time I had to read was the time I snatched here and there. Post-it notes are good for that, because you can leave one on the line where you stop reading and go back to it easily next time you get a couple minutes. Give it a try. You might be surprised. Audio books might be an option for you in the car, too.

    Blessings to you my friend,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thinking of you and wanted to drop in and say Hi ~ how have your been?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Teresa,
    It's been awhile! It's good to hear from you. All is well here. Hubby is looking for a job, and we are trusting God to take care of us. Meanwhile, I'm making do and trying to stretch our money as best I can. I just went over to your blog. I think you're doing great with your efforts to save. Have you see this post about saving?

    http://www.harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2013/06/forty-ways-to-use-it-up-wear-it-out.html

    I noticed that I was not following your blog. I signed up to follow you. I hope you have a wonderful week!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do start with the first one Mrs. Chrissy T. You'll enjoy the series more. Write back to me if you want more info about reviewing books.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a wonderful book to read, and I'll take your above advice and start with the first one :) Hope you are having a wonderful day Laura :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a good day Spicing Up Idaho. My what a long name. Maybe I should call you Mrs. Idaho!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. The plot sounds good! I have a friend that's an avid book reader- I be she'd love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Liz,
    It's good to meet you. I enjoyed my visit at your blog. May you have a beautiful new year. The Lord God be with you and give you peace and rest.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Series books - LOVE! I don't think I've ever read any of her books. Not usually a fan of cowboy/cowgirl characters, but you made this sound intriguing. Visiting from WMM Reading Wednesday link up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Michelle,
    I like the Tea Shop mysteries from Laura Childs, but not her scrapbooking and Cackleberry club books. The last two series have a lot of bad language, the first doesn't.

    I had not thought of it before, but perhaps I should mention in my reviews that the books are clean? It just doesn't occur to me to read anything raunchy.

    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there! This sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura