Sunday, February 21, 2016

Blue Ribbon Trail Ride by Miralee Ferrell


Book info
About the book: 

Blue Ribbon Trail Ride (David C. Cook, January 2016)

Thirteen-year old Kate and her friends came up with the perfect way to raise money for her autistic younger brother and others to attend summer camp---a horse scavenger hunt! As local businesses donate money and prizes, Kate keeps the entry fees in her mom's antique jewelry box.

But when the box and the money disappear, Kate and her friends must unravel the clues, hold on to hope, and solve the mystery along the Blue Ribbon Trail Ride. 
About the author:

Miralee Ferrell is the award-winning author of more than a dozen novels. She and her husband live along the Columbia River Gorge in southern Washington State, where she enjoys riding the wooded trails and spending time with her grown children. In addition to horses and dogs, Miralee once owned two cougars.


Connect with Miralee: websiteTwitter, Facebook

My daughter Amy is fourteen years old. She blogs at Living in Faith and Fun. When we received Books 1-4 of the junior fiction series Horses and Friends by Miralee Ferrell, she started reading. She finished the first book, then had to skip to the fourth book in order to read this by the review due date. I'll share some of her thoughts here.

Amy's thoughts:
I like the way Kate treats her autistic brother and how she doesn't get angry at him for being the way he is. No, she doesn't like the autism, but she doesn't blame Pete. 

Pros:
The story keeps moving. It doesn't stop. I think a girl who likes horses may enjoy this book, though I don't know if she would love it. Me, I probably won't read this series over and over. I never was a horse lover, but I do like horses. This story really sounded like it was written by a person who has been around horses a lot. 

Cons:
I don't like how the dialogue is written. It's hard to explain. It's a bit too modern day sounding. Some of the jokes and/or sarcasm could sound a little rude if taken wrong.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good book for girls 9 - 12. 

Mom's Thoughts:
I thought that this was a good book for girls who have passed the initial hump of learning to read chapter books. I think it's a second level chapter book series. I liked that the kids ultimately worked out their differences. It's a great Christian novel set for young ladies. The setting and the kids are wholesome. The amount of freedom to go to and fro is more than my kids have, but it's necessary in books. I really liked the closeness of Kate's family and the way they worked together to help with her brother's autism. 

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


Reading Wednesday Literacy Musing Mondays

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a book my older two girls would enjoy- they both like the Dandi Daley Macall books, which are also about horses. Thank you for the recommendation :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura