Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Life Giving Home, Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming by Sally and Sarah Clarkson ~ Review



This is a book that makes me want to invest time in my family, my home, my friends, and even strangers. It's not a home decorating book, it's an invest yourself in the ones you love and in spreading the love of Jesus book.  It's about creating an atmosphere for you, your loved ones, and the people you bring into your home that promotes rest, togetherness, and creativity.

The book is divided into chapters for each month of the year. I don't think the intention is to read a chapter a month but maybe to go back and reference the book monthly. Mom and daughter each write six of the monthly chapters. Each chapter has information to inspire you, then they have an "In Our Home" section to show how they applied the ideals.

Faith, music, art, feasting and lots of books show up over and over in the narrative. While they don't talk about homeschooling, it's easy to see how these things could be applied for homeschoolers. I found the May chapter to be especially helpful, because they talked about graduation for their homeschooled children. My Emily will graduate this June. I'm gathering ideas for her celebration.

Although I don't have young children, I loved how they encouraged and explained the advantages of old-fashioned play. Creativity is born from children getting bored and coming up with games to play together or by themselves, or by acting out books they've read and whatever else them come up with. They practice at being grown up when they play make-believe, and they learn about relationships.

They talked a lot about their extensive travels. It made me long to travel, too.

One of my favorite quotes from the book:

"Home should be the very best place ever to be.... Not many in my life even invite people into their homes anymore, but I have found that almost everyone loves to be in a place that says, "Welcome! You will be cared for here!" Sally page 11

This is a book for the unmarried, for the newly married, for the young mother, for the mother of teens, for the older mother with an emptying nest. All stages are addressed because we read it from both the mother and the grown daughter's perspective.

Excerpt

From the Publisher:

The Lifegiving Home

Sally ClarksonSarah Clarkson
How to make home your family’s favorite place to be . . . all year long.
Does your home sometimes feel like just a place to eat, sleep, and change clothes on the way to the next activity? Do you long for “home” to mean more than a place where you stash your stuff? Wouldn’t you love it to become a haven of warmth, rest, and joy . . . the one place where you and your family can’t wait to be?

There is good news waiting for you in the pages of The Lifegiving Home. Every day of your family’s life can be as special and important to you as it already is to God. In this unique book designed to help your family enjoy and celebrate every month of the year together, you’ll discover the secrets of a life-giving home from a mother who created one and her daughter who was raised in it: popular authors Sally and Sarah Clarkson. Together they offer a rich treasure of wise advice, spiritual principles, and practical suggestions. You’ll embark on a new path to creating special memories for your children; establishing home-building and God-centered traditions; and cultivating an environment in which your family will flourish.

Written by mother-daughter team Sally and Sarah Clarkson.
Sally Clarkson

Sarah Clarkson

Thank you Tyndale for this review book. 

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

18 comments:

  1. I really want to read this so bad! I left it in our Amazon cart as a hint to Jamie. Ha!!!! :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah,

      I think you'll like the book. It's very homemakery-heritage building. It will be great for a mama in your stage of raising a family.

      I've sent you an email. If you don't get it, please comment back here.

      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. How much is actually addressed to an empty nester? I'm nearing 60 years old. Is it relevant to my season of life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhat, I think Sally is 62, but I think the primary value is to younger folks with kids at home.

      Delete
  3. This is is my Amazon cart also! Thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have another book to add to my list! I really want my house to be more hospitable to others. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Currently reading this one and doing a ladies Bible study in my home with it. So far I am loving it! Soaking up all of Sally's wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard about this book, and I was so happy to read your review! It sounds like a wonderful book to have in your home collection. I will definitely take a look at it on Amazon... have a blessed day Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your favorite quote resonates with me..."Home should be the very best place ever to be.... Not many in my life even invite people into their homes anymore, but I have found that almost everyone loves to be in a place that says, "Welcome! You will be cared for here!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have pinned this to my "books to look into" board :) Thank you for linking up with us this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the introduction to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My best friend sent me this book, the companion book, and also the book "Teaching From Rest", as a belated birthday present. I am almost finished with Teaching From Rest, and plan to start Sally's book next. I can't wait! I haven't skimmed through it yet; do you suggest reading it from beginning to end or going by the month we are in, since it is divided up that way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it from the beginning Jessica. You could browse a bit and see what you think.

      Delete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura