Monday, May 30, 2016

REVIEW: The Sleep Revolution Transforming Your Life, One Night at a Time by Arianna Huffington

I'm tired. I'm always tired. Life just doesn't slow down, does it?
Arianna Huffington offers her solution in The Sleep Revolution.




This book reads a bit like a college textbook. Ms. Huffington was incredibly thorough in her treatment of this subject. I was fascinated and alarmed at the effects both short and long-term of sleep deprivation and simply not getting enough quality sleep.  Notably, many sleeping pills as well as sleep deprivation can contribute to developing Alzheimer's.

She lost me a bit with the talk of dreams. After reading quite a few pages, I admit I skipped the rest of the lengthy section and moved on to the application section with ideas to improve sleep quality.

This book was amazingly in depth. The research involved must have taken a very long time. It's a very thick book, and it will take quite awhile to read. I realize that I truly need to make some changes in my sleep habits.

To be truthful, I felt sleepy through some parts of the book. It's not really light reading. Lots and lots of studies and examples. She did put in enough examples that I didn't actually fall asleep. ~smile~

From the Publisher:
As a culture, we act as though burnout is the necessary price for success, yet research shows that sleep is vital to our health, happiness, job performance, relationships, and more. In her new book, the follow-up to the #1 New York Timesbestseller Thrive, Arianna shows how we can take back our rest and points the way forward to the amazing innovations and reforms that are ushering in a sleep revolution.

If you type the words "Why am I" into Google, the first suggestion, based on popular searches, is "Why am I so tired?" These five words sum up what Arianna calls "the existential cry of the modern age." Even though we know more about sleep than at any other time in history, and how important it is to our physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well-being, actually getting enough sleep is harder than ever. In THE SLEEP REVOLUTION, Arianna examines the mystery of sleep, and how we can tap into it to regain control of our out-of-kilter lives, recharge our bodies and minds, and reconnect with ourselves. She also presents expert tips on how we can all achieve better, more restorative sleep.


About Arianna Huffington
Author's Website
Read an excerpt


"I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review."

2 comments:

  1. Let us know, if after reading that book, that your sleep improves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see. Implementation is always harder than learning what to do. I know. If it weren't, I'd be about 135 lbs! ~smile~

      One thing's sure. I will not take any kind of sleeping pills!

      Delete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura