Wednesday, May 11, 2016

THE INHERITANCE ~ Secrets of the Shetlands Book 1 Michael Phillips


Thank you Litfuse for this review copy.
About The Inheritance:
Experience the first book, The Inheritance, in Michael Phillips' epic new family saga series, Secrets of the Shetlands.

The death of clan patriarch Macgregor Tulloch has thrown the tiny Shetland Islands community of Whales Reef into turmoil. Everyone assumed Tulloch's heir to be his much-loved grandnephew David. But when no will is discovered, David's calculating cousin Hardy submits his own claim to the inheritance, an estate that controls most of the island's land. And Hardy knows a North Sea oil investor who will pay dearly for that control.
While the competing claims are investigated, the courts have frozen the estate's assets, leaving many of the locals in dire financial straits. The future of the island---and its traditional way of life---hangs in the balance.

Meanwhile, Loni Ford enjoys a rising career in a large investment firm in Washington, D.C. Yet, in spite of outward success, she is privately plagued by questions of identity. Orphaned as a young child, she was raised by her grandparents, and while she loves them dearly, she feels completely detached from her roots. That is, until a mysterious letter arrives from a Scottish solicitor. . . .

Past and present collide in master storyteller Michael Phillips' dramatic new saga of loss and discovery, of grasping and grace.


My Thoughts:
  • The Inheritance is a book to experience—like traveling to a place set apart from the progress of the times.
  • It's not an easy read. You have to think. You've got to not only picture the people and places, but also the times. There's a lot of detail to keep straight in your mind. Even table of contents took thought to read.
  • You will need to reference both the family lineage chart and the table of contents for information as you read if you want to keep it all straight.
  • This is a big thick 428 page book. You've got to love reading. ~smile~ I like long books, because they give the author time to develop the characters, the settings, and the plot. Michael Phillips did this masterfully. 
  • The Scottish language used gave authenticity to the book. He had me thinking in Scottish!
  • I respected Mr. Phillips' research when I found the reference to "Leaving Lerwick Harbor", a musical selection mentioned in the book to be a real song.
  • I felt like I was there.
  • Lots and lots of history and culture of the Shetland Islands
  • The small font was hard to read for 50 year old eyes which will be 51 by the time you read this. ~smile~
  • You have to expect that the book will not have resolution since there are two more to come.
  • Since it was a complex tale instead of a quick read,  this book required me to sit down and slow down my busy life to read it. 
  • I look forward to the continuing story and the eventual resolution and conclusion of this epic tale.
  • It's a journey, a mystery, a cultural experience and a history all wrapped together.
  • I loved the short chapters. They made the book excellent for snatching a moment here and there to read. 
  • The book seems to be crafted. It's well planned and executed. I was impressed with that.


Michael Phillips is a bestselling author who has penned more than seventy books, both fiction and nonfiction. In addition, he has served as editor/redactor of nearly thirty more books. Over the past thirty years, his persistent efforts have helped reawaken interest in the writings of nineteenth century Scotsman George MacDonald. Michael and his wife, Judy, spend time each year in Scotland, but make their home near Sacramento, California.

READ MORE REVIEWS HERE.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really good! Thank you for letting us know how much you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I'm taking a short spring break, so I will have a lot of messages when I get back online. If you would like a reply to your comment, please be sure to leave your email address and ask me for a response. I moderate all comments, so it your comments won't show on the blog until I get back in the swing of things.

Thanks so much for your patience!

It will be good for me to unplug for a bit. Know what I mean?
Be blessed!
Laura