Saturday, July 9, 2016

Living Hope Ministries ~ Even in the Darkness of Despair, There is Hope.


LIVING HOPE is the story of three extraordinary individuals who have devoted their lives to serving the poor in South Africa. It is a feature length documentary created by the filmmakers behind Journey to Everest, Apostles of Comedy, and Honoring a Father’s Dream: Sons of Lwala.  John Thomas, a pastor who is leading his church to serve the sick, hungry, and dying in the communities that surround them. Journey beside John through the neighborhoods where they work, meet the people their ministry has impacted, and hear from his heart why they chose to make a stand for the poor.  Joey Lankford, a businessman and father of four who moved his young family from the United States to Cape Town. Journey beside Joey as he equips men and women with job skills, and leads them out of the bondage of poverty.  Leonie Rustin, a single mom and nursing assistant, who turned from a life of crippling drug addiction to follow Christ. Journey beside Leonie as she attempts to help other in her community unshackle the chains of addiction and prostitution.

My thoughts:
Living Hope is an amazing documentary about an amazing organization. One thing that is amazing is that it started out as a local community church. They became aware of many needs and problems in the community and followed God's lead to do something about it. In Capetown, South Africa, one in three women is HIV positive. One in four men is HIV positive. It is pandemic. There is a food shortage that causes hunger to be a regular, intense problem. There is poverty that is not even definable by United States standards.

There are four main ministries that Living Hope is involved with.

  • Living Care ~ Care for the sick and the dying
  • Living Grace ~ Care for the homeless and substance abusers
  • Living Way  ~ Trains the jobless, trains and equips to grow food
  • Living Right ~ Teaches AIDS prevention, provides testing, provides support club for young people
This DVD was outstanding. It left me with a thorough understanding of Living Hope Ministries and the outstanding work they are doing. I highly recommend this video.

Thank you Mr. Wallach of Edify Media for this complimentary review copy.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! I couldn't find a contact link with your email on your blog, so am leaving you a comment instead. You recently commented on my post about making salves that you are looking for more information on what salves to make and how to use them. On Monday I'm posting that very thing! I hope you'll stop by and give it a read, and I hope that it is helpful to you. If you have any more questions about it, please feel free to email me! ~Kathi at Oak Hill Homestead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathi. Thank you. I'll look into the contact info problem. I'll keep an eye out for the post. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  2. Now you've made me want to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have it my dear. You may when you like. It's social studies credit you know, too!

      Delete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura