Wednesday, August 31, 2016

My Homeschooling Must ~ 2016-2017 Well Planned Day


  I suppose you could consider me to be a veteran homeschool mom. I've been homeschooling for over twenty years now.  My oldest is 25 and living on his own. My three younger children are 19 (now in college), 17  (junior), and 15 (freshman). There have been lots of fun things, wonderful things and also a fair share of challenging things through the years. One of the challenging things early on was planning and record keeping. Planning and record keeping is required in most states including Missouri where I live. 

  Through the years I tried many different planning and record keeping methods... traditional teacher plan books, typing everything out and printing it, printing out charts I found online and filling them in, writing it out in notebooks, on notebook paper, and in little student assignment books from the department store.  I even tried sticky notes. I just couldn't seem to make any method stick.  ~Pun intended.~ Then I chanced to meet a woman at a homeschool convention who had the answer to my quandary—the Well Planned Day planner

  I met Rebecca Scarlata Keliher at a homeschool conference in Missouri.  She showed me her planner and answered all my questions. I had a lot of questions. ~smile~ At the time, I thought it a bit pricey, but I was desperate and willing to give it a try. I'm so glad that I did. I had no idea just how valuable it would be to me. ~It's $26.95 if you're wondering.~  I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite homeschooling products. This is my seventh year to use the WELL PLANNED day. Ordering my Well Planned Day is always my top priority when I make my homeschool wish list each year. I don't want to do without it.

The proof is in the pudding. Here are my last six planners!

  What I like most is that it is so adaptable. There is room to either plan or record lessons for up to four students in each subject section.  For the last six years, I taught three. I put assignments for Emily in the first line, Michael in the second, and Amy in the third in each section.  Things I did with all three children were put on the fourth line.  This year I will only have two students, because Emily is starting college. I will have two lines for each student in each subject. As you can see, I use a lot of abbreviations.
Tiger wanted to get in on the Thanksgiving week planning!
Perhaps he wants me to pencil in a little turkey for him?

  I use a combination of planning out subjects ahead (in pencil) and recording what they did after the fact.  I use a separate sheet to give them their assignments. This book is for me and for keeping records of what was actually finished. There are boxes to check when assignments are completed. In the photo above, you may be able to read the numbers in the little boxes. I recorded how many hours were spent on each assignment. The highest numbers are usually under SR which stands for silent reading.

My life is in my planner. This is an easy month!

  This is my new calendar.  I just love the colors this year! It's so pretty. So far, only a few items have made the pages.  I'm sure they'll be quite full beginning in September. I keep everything on this calendar whether home or school related. If it's not on the calendar, it probably will be forgotten. The words, "I've slept since then," are often heard in our home. This is even more important than ever since I now have children working and going to college who need rides. With only one vehicle, I'm the designated driver for dad and kids.

Notice the scripture readings.

  Each month there are perforated shopping lists. You can use this however you like. Sometimes I label lists Aldi, Walmart, Dollar General etc. Sometimes I write down menu ideas in one section, then write ingredients I need to buy under the appropriate store. There's also a place on each week's page to write in a dinner menu.


 During 2010, I kept hours for each subject on the attendance pages.  I kept a list of how many hours were accomplished each day for state record keeping. Missouri requires 1000 hours of instruction. That year Amy had 1,301.25.  I no longer keep track of quarter hours.  If it's not a half hour, I don't count it.  The math became too complicated.


  I'm just starting to fill in the class plans for 2016-2016. There's a place for a photo, grade, weight, age, etc. I usually don't fill those in, but it's a good place for a record of growth—especially for youngsters.


  Just one drawback. I do wish the covers were made of heavier cardstock or reinforced. This book gets a lot of use. I can be remedied by covering it with clear plastic like Contact. My library will cover the books for a small fee, but I haven't done it. Nevertheless... I highly recommend this product!  I could write out all the features, but it's so much more effective to look for yourself.

  *Note, once upon a time, I was an affiliate, but that program has been discontinued. I received a copy of this product for review purposes. 

~A Word from the Publisher~
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The Original Homeschool Planner

Designed by the Well Planned Gal
With days packed full of lessons, projects, co-ops, field trips - not to mention the cooking, cleaning, shopping, appointments, meetings, and more - a homeschool mom's work is never done!
I know how important it is for you to make the most of your time. I have designed the Well-Planned Day planner to help you keep your day, week, month, and year organized so that you can have more time for the things that matter most.
I have packed this planner with all kinds of goodies! Here are just a few of the features:
  • space to create a daily school schedule for up to four students
  • a place to craft your own daily/weekly teacher schedule
  • the ability to plan or record lessons on our spacious two-page weekly layout
  • forms to track books read, field trips taken, attendance
  • a report card for each student at the end of the year!
And just in case your state requires reporting, I've built in effortless record-keeping forms.
I also know how important it is to stay encouraged, so I have included helpful articles on homeschooling and organizing, as well as organizational tips on every page.
The planner offers helpful home management sections such as an address book, a greeting card registry for birthdays and anniversaries, a one-year Bible reading plan, tear-out shopping lists, weekly priorities, dinner planning, and a special holiday gift organization section...plus so much more!
 ~Things You'll Want to Know~




Disclosure: I was sent a sample of this product for review purposes only. I was not compensated in any way. All opinions are my own based on my experience with this product. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

13 comments:

  1. Great tips. I love the planner. I'd like to feature you post in my Tips on Tuesday.
    Did you know my Fabulous Fall Party is 'live'. Come over and link up all your Fall posts. I have a lot of new followers so please feel free to link new and old posts again this year. Here's the party:
    http://mychristmasjourney.blogspot.com/
    Come and party with me again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I am double honored! Lynn, right?

      I would love to have the post featured. I forgot about the fall list. It's been a busy day. Thanks for reminding me. I've got lots of fall posts. I'll go and link a few.

      Be blessed!
      Laura

      Delete
  2. THey are very pretty too. Do they also do regular planners [as I have no kids at home, to home school.lol]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this one would work Judy?

      https://shop.wellplannedgal.com/index.php/shop/planners/2016-2017-on-the-go.html

      Delete
  3. Very creative, clever and all things that are good. Thank you for stopping by, loved my visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This planner is really pretty and I use one now with the perforated shopping lists, but I don't homeschool. Wish they had it in a non-homeschool edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think they do. Just click the link to be taken to their web page. I think it's called On the Go.

      Delete
  5. I have this planner. I agree about the front being made out of something heavier would have been nice. I like the layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use it exactly as they planned (pun intended), but I like it. Thanks for talking back!

      Delete
  6. If I did homeschool, I think I would definitely use this planner. I like to be very organized and this looks like it would definitely keep my organized. By the way, we have 2 in college also and a 4th grader, so I know about transportation woes too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. It works for me. Thanks for talking back Annie!

      Delete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura