Sunday, September 4, 2016

COURAGEOUS by Dina Sleiman


Will They Trust God's Call Even When It Leads to the Most Unexpected Places?
Inspired by the vision of the young Lady Sapphira, Rosalind of Ipsworth joins a group of men, women, and children as a defender of the cross, seeking to free captives from prisons near Tripoli. She'll gladly give herself to the cause, as she's haunted by a tragic mistake and feels she no longer deserves such joys as marriage and family might bring.

Sir Randel Penigree was reared to serve in the church but has always dreamt of protecting the innocent as a Templar knight. Joining a crusade to escape humiliation at home, he finds himself drawn to Rosalind as they partner to train and protect a group of adolescents. When faced with political intrigue and an unknown enemy bent on their destruction, they are forced to reconsider their priorities and the very nature of the God they serve. ~ The Publisher

My Thoughts:  
This one started slow for me. There is a lot of set up, a lot of learning about characters and the situations of their past. Even though I wasn't immediately drawn into the book, I persevered for a couple of reasons. First— it was a review book. I had to read it. Second— I had read CHIVALROUS her last medieval novel.  I knew she is a good writer. When I got to page 142, I started getting interested. Things started happening. By the time I passed page 200, I had to finish it. ~smile~ Truthfully, a  lot of books are like that for me. Oh, there are 358 pages in all if you're wondering.

Once in, I was all in. What began as an agreement of convenience, grew into a true friendship for Randel and Rosalind. Together they worked through terrible circumstances and came out of it stronger. I had spent the first couple hundred pages getting to know the characters, so it was interesting to watch them meet new situations, form relationships, and engage the enemy.

Themes were forgiveness, guilt, repentance and freedom from the past mistakes and sins. There was also an emphasis on truly knowing and experiencing God rather than just knowing about Him. 

Photo Credit: © Silly Little Sparrow Photos

Thank you Bethany House for this review book. I received this book in exchange for an honest blog review.


Disclosure: I was sent a sample of this product for review purposes only. I was not compensated in any way. All opinions are my own based on my experience with this product. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

3 comments:

  1. Laura - I saw you today at #LMM link up and the title and picture of the book captured my attention - I think sometimes, its our obligation (needing to review the book) that keep us reading so that we don't miss out on the more that God has in store for us. I too have a hard time sticking with books, if there is too much detail or they are slow, but if I stick it out, I am usually blessed. I think I will have to check this book out but first maybe reading something else by her so I know what she's capable of will help. Again so glad for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did enjoy her first book more, but this one ended up being good, too.

      Delete
  2. I read Chivalrous and found it interesting but not so much so that I wanted to read the rest of the series. Thanks for sharing your honest review on this at the #LMMLinkup. I'll probably pass.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I'm taking a short spring break, so I will have a lot of messages when I get back online. If you would like a reply to your comment, please be sure to leave your email address and ask me for a response. I moderate all comments, so it your comments won't show on the blog until I get back in the swing of things.

Thanks so much for your patience!

It will be good for me to unplug for a bit. Know what I mean?
Be blessed!
Laura