Monday, September 5, 2016

TIME FOR BED SLEEPYHEAD Review


Time for Bed, Sleepyhead
by Dr. Daniel Amen
"A Falling Asleep Book"
Hardcover, Picture Book
Ages 2 and up


Here's another adorable book from ZonderKidz.
From the Publisher:
Time for Bed Sleepyhead is more than just a bedtime storybook! It was designed to help stimulate the brains of little ones and help them to fall asleep easily. Ever have a toddler that just won't go to sleep? This book was designed to help with that! Plus, it helps tire the child's mind enough so that they can stay asleep and get a good night's sleep. Sleep is extremely important for the brain, as this is the time when it cleans and restores itself. Dr. Amen is a double board certified psychiatrist and physician specializing in the study of the brain. Dr. Amen has been using this sleep inducing story method with his own children and his patients for years with lots of success! 

My Thoughts:
I read this early this morning shortly after dawn. I don't have any little children right now, though my 15 year old would probably still curl up on the couch for a bedtime story if I invited her. I will give my thoughts as a momma who looks forward to grandlittles cuddling on my lap someday as I read.

I find Gail Yerrill's art to be engaging, whimsical, and adorable. The little animals in the book look fluffy, cuddly, and soft. When I opened to the title page, I was enthralled with the little cottage in the woods. It made me want to pack my bags and move to the woods. Well, at least visit. ~grin~

Dr. Amen's story was calming. It was written to help children to fall asleep. The introduction for the parents/adults states,

"Time for Bed, Sleepyhead is a sophisticated psychological visualization game.... Given the book's hypnotic nature, never read or listen to this book when driving, and never read it to a child to get them to sleep in a car. It may have unintended, negative effects on the driver."
I am not familiar with hypnosis, so I was a little nervous reading the book. ~smile~  It didn't put me to sleep, but read in the right soothing tone of voice, it may help little ones to relax. I cannot really say whether it would be any more effective than another storybook. The story is not exciting, but I don't believe it is intended to be so.


I liked the beginning of the story where Momma Bear explains to her little cub why sleep is important. I didn't realize that sleep was a time when the brain is cleaned. It answers the age old question, "Why do I have to go to sleep?"


Disclosure: I was sent a sample of this product for review purposes only. I was not compensated in any way. All opinions are my own based on my experience with this product. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."


27 comments:

  1. Love books to read aloud to our 3-year-old grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh Michelle it's always good to hear from you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Laura, I wonder if would put our hard-to-go-sleep JJ down?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by to say "Hi"
    I would love to read this to my
    grandkids..
    Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines
    *I love you blog design:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My granddaughter loves to have books read to her, she would love this book I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My granddaughters will like this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to win and read this beautiful book to my little one!
    Thank You for the chance

    Fiona N

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like the perfect book to read to my Grandson. He just loves when we read to him. Even when his big sister reads he listens This is an adorable book and the pictures looks so colorful and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have several that would enjoy this book. Sounds like a new bedtime favorite. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few who would enjoy this book. Sounds like a new bedtime favorite. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a really cute book for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could use this for my preschooler twins!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a good book for my niece. acptuser at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Commented on "Apple Butter - City Style" as Kristie. kristiedonelson(at)gmail(dot)com Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to win this book for my 4 year old granddaughter, she would love it! Thank you for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to win!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my first visit to your blog, Can't wait to dig into it. I love reading books with my grandson. He loves it too.
    Pam C.
    Treasuretoday@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to win this for my little girls

    ReplyDelete
  19. My 2 yr old granddaughter loves books and to be read to. Im trying to win her lots of books for Christmas. Thank you for the chance :)
    sue-hull64(at)comcast(dot)not

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura