Thursday, October 13, 2016

A NIGHT OF GREAT JOY Mary Engelbreit


This year, come Christmas, my children at home will be 15, 17, and 19. I also have a grown 25 year old son. We have had a tradition, at least since the youngest was born, of Mom giving the family a new Christmas picture book each year. Sometimes they have fine art, sometimes they are whimsical. Last year, since they were all so old, I asked if they wanted to continue. I was met with a resounding yes! I'm not sure if they will want to continue this year or not. My 19 year old has started college. My 17 year old interned with the police department this summer. Those things will grow you up a lot. Nevertheless, I am going to proceed on the assumption that they will want to continue the tradition this year. Even if they don't, momma does!

I snuck into the living room early in the morning to read this while everyone was still asleep. Even after reading many versions of the account of the Christmas story over the years, I found Mary Engelbreit's version was fresh to me.  Her style can only be described as whimsical. She captures the vibrancy and spark of life in children like no one else.

The book tells the story of the nativity of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The story shows the story of a children's Christmas play or pageant complete with cows, sheep, shepherds, angels and wise men. All the little things, like the look on Mary's face when she settled into the hay and the shepherds fighting over a little lamb, brought an amusing note to the book. I think little children will enjoy it. I think grown-ups will enjoy reading it to their littles. The drawings are vibrant in color, rich in content, and full of the joyful fun of the style that can only be called Mary Engelbreit.

$16.99 Hardcover from Zonderkidz
Release date October 4, 2016
Take a look!
Additional information





Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

17 comments:

  1. This looks interesting. I'm sure my niece would enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, for the 1rst time in 12yrs. I have 4 new grand kids under 2'

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful book.. I did not fill out for the book, my grandkids are almost grown now, so didn't want to take it away from some one with little kids.. thankyou for a lovely give away.
    Traditions are so fun..Our grown kids still love our traditions,and will not let me change, even though they have kids of their own.ha Hope you have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you have kids who love traditions Judy. It just makes life so much richer. Don't you think?
      Enjoy your fall weekend. It's truly the most wonderful time of the year!
      Laura

      Delete
  4. What a great book to have, it's exciting to see children eyes light up when they began to read about the nativity of our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always enjoyed her books, very lively!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a terrific book -- would like to win this for my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really glad to see this. Most of the Christmas books I see around are about Santa etc. Thanks for sharing a story about the Nativity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My two little ones would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a Twas the Night Before Christmas book with Mary Engelbreit illustrations that I share with my kids every Christmas. I would love to have this one to share as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the chance would love this for my son

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute book, would love to read it to our three year old grandson.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura