Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Michael Phillips' THE COTTAGE ~ Secrets of the Shetlands Book 2

I new before I opened The Cottage that I wouldn't be satisfied when I closed it. Why? It's the second book in a trilogy. That means cliffhanger. Well, I was wrong! I was not only satisfied—I was happy.

I read the first book, The Inheritance, and enjoyed it. Reading The Cottage was like visiting old friends and just enjoying their company. Michael Phillips has a way of drawing you into a story that makes it seem real—as though you could just pick up the phone and call Loni or David or any of the other characters.

I loved the way Mr. Phillips gently addressed social issues within the story, he educated the reader on Scottish history, he addressed church politics, he counseled the reader in inner healing, and left no doubt that Jesus is indeed the answer. All this was woven into the story in a very natural and even necessary manner. I loved this book. It was full of wisdom. Yes, I am hungry to find out just how the third book resolves issues, but there was no frustrating cliffhanger—just a drawing into the next book in the series. Transition without frustration... a great way to end this second book in the series. You can be sure I'll be reading the next one when it comes out!

Clean
No inappropriate language, innuendos, intimacy.
There was a tiny bit of violence, but it was not described in detail.
Safe for a teen, but 405 pages, probably more suitable for an adult.

EXCERPT




About The Cottage by Michael Phillips

Is the Future of Whales Reef in the Hands of an Outsider?
When Loni Ford is informed that she has inherited property in the Shetland Islands, she laughs. She wants nothing more than to sell it and be done with it. But when she arrives in the North Sea enclave, she is stunned to find that "the Cottage" is not at all what she expected, nor is David Tulloch, the man most of the islanders believe to be the rightful heir.

The locals could hardly be more surprised that the heir is a woman--and an American. Loni, in turn, finds the islanders quaint and a bit behind the times. Expecting David to be as provincial as the rest of his clan, she discovers that there is far more to the man than meets the eye. And there is something about the peaceful atmosphere of the place--and the character of its most prominent citizen--that soon gets under her skin.

Beneath the peaceful surface, however, change is threatening the island of Whales Reef. David's cousin Hardy Tulloch, whose claim to the inheritance now in Loni's hands was backed by oil investors, has not been deterred in his aim to control the island. But his co-conspirators have plans of their own, plans that put Loni's very life in danger. . . .
Michael Phillips
Michael Phillips is a bestselling author who has penned more than seventy books, both fiction and nonfiction. In addition, he has served as editor/redactor of nearly thirty more books. Over the past thirty years, his persistent efforts have helped reawaken...
Continue reading about Michael Phillips.

Thank you Bethany House.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can. If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura