Saturday, November 12, 2016

WHERE JESUS SLEPT Norma Lewis and Katy Hudson

One of the things I love about the Christmas season is the coziness of the season. I have cherished memories of snuggling in the big rocker recliner with my little children piled around me or cuddling on the sofa with a big blanket and a pile of Christmas picture books. Twinkling Christmas tree lights and hot homemade cocoa made it all the cozier.

My children are now nearly all grown. They range from 15 through 25. Gone are the days of cuddling up with a pile of books and reading the evening away. Now they're busy with many things. But. They still insist on the tradition of a new Christmas picture book every year. I usually present it to the family on Christmas Eve. It's my pleasure to review books in an effort to find the perfect one.

I really like Where Jesus Slept. Although I read it silently, I can just imagine how nice it will be to read it aloud. It's inspired by the Mother Goose rhyme "The House that Jack Built." Remember? If not, I'm sure you can Google it. ~smile~
I enjoy books that have rhythm and rhyme. They're just so much fun to read to children—even if they're nearly grown. Norma Lewis has used it beautifully to tell the dearly beloved account of our Savior's birth.

The cover is typical of the art throughout. Katy Hudson has presented quiet, peaceful, restful illustrations throughout the book. The colors and people are tasteful. She does not make the characters in the book look like outlandish cartoons as many illustrators are apt to do. Baby Jesus is a perfect example of her style.

I highly recommend this book—especially if you have littles from birth to about seven or eight. It would be a merry little book to enjoy with emergent readers. The repetition would reinforce new words they were learning. Mostly, it's a book to enjoy and keep the focus of Christmas just where it should be—with Christ.



About the book:
“This is the bed where Jesus slept. This is the straw that lined the bed where Jesus slept.” From here, the story builds with each spread, adding a new element and explaining the relationships among the participants and witnesses to the first Christmas. From Jesus sleeping sweetly to the wise men bringing gifts, this charming book reminds readers young and not-so-young of the joyous event we celebrate at Christmastime. Children will love the delightful illustrations and the engaging repetition in this cumulative tale.


Format: jacketed hardcover
Page count: 32
Retail price: $16.99
Reading age: 4-7

About the author:
Norma Lewis is the author of ten books. She lives in Grand Haven, MI, with a marmalade cat named Scalawag. They both love spending time with her six grandchildren, ranging in age from three to twenty.
Illustrated by Katy Hudson.




"Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the
Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post. Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway.  If you have won a prize from our sponsor Propeller / FlyBy Promotions in the last 30 days, you are not eligible to win.  Or if you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.”


20 comments:

  1. Hi Laura! Looks like a nice book. Reading books to children about the real meaning of Christmas surely makes the holiday holy and true.

    I appreciated reading of your moving experience when your kids were little....such a hardship! I'm sure it was for some reason God had you go through that and love carried you all through! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving and being dislocated in a hotel over Thanksgiving and Christmas really changed the way I think about Christmas and how we celebrate. It's much more Christ centered now.
      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. I know I say this a lot, but the birds just make me smile, Laura...sigh, I know...my son is almost 20, gone are those days as well. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad about the birds, Linda. I keep them for you and a few others who have said they like them.
      ~smile~
      Happy Thanks Living!

      Delete
  3. I love that your kids still insist on a picture book each year, even though they're older! Hope you're having a great weekend and it was lovely to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      I've had a very restful, quiet weekend full of reading. What a miracle! I've been doing, doing, doing, and going, going, going for weeks. I feel refreshed. Praise God.
      Glad to meet you, too!
      Laura

      Delete
  4. Not only do I love the birds, but so do my Poodles! What a wonderful book! My children are growing fast, the youngest being teens, but still love when their mother reads to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sharon, read to them every time you can! It goes so fast. I'm glad you and your poodles love the birds. I find them restful. Be blessed and enjoy your Thanksgiving season.
      Laura

      Delete
  5. Lovely book. Later today I am announcing my Book Suggestions Link party that will go live on Thanksgiving Day. I'd love you to link this book and any others we want to suggest for Christmas.
    Thanks for sharing this! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lynn, I'll try to remember. That party's a great idea. Is it hard to do a link party? I've thought of it, but I haven't investigated it.
      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  6. Oh, I miss the days when dear Zach was little and would love to crawl up in the recliner with me to read! But, even though he is way taller than me now, he STILL loves to hear his Mama read to him. So, I can see us enjoying this little book together, even now. Thank you for the opportunity to win, dear friend. I love and appreciate you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to read this to our 3-year-old grandson who's with us on Tuesdays! He loves to be read to before nap time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gramma Grits!
      I loved reading to my children when they were toddlers.
      Enjoy!
      Laura

      Delete
  8. That looks to be a very nice book Laura. I always enjoyed the art work in children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're still building our Christmas library; from 18m to 6y here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Emmmmerz,
      What a wonderful span of ages. You have many wonderfully delightful Christmas snuggles ahead!

      Delete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can. If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura