Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Jocelyn Green's The Mark of the King



The Mark of the King is a book that kept me turning pages. It was not a pleasant book in many ways, because the subject matter is not pleasant. But Jocelyn Green brought French history and early New Orleans to life for me. 

I learned much I didn't know about treatment of prisoners in France at the time—the squalor, ill treatment, and hopelessness they endured. Moving forward, life on the ship then in the "town" of New Orleans was described in great detail. 

Green wove in the relationship between the French, the various Indian tribes, and English, making it all living history as I read. She depicted relations with the Indians that I haven't read in my studies of American history—but it made what I have studied make more sense.

Add to this in a compelling narrative of a young woman accused of a crime she did not commit, a marriage to a man she'd never met nor spoken to, and a hunt for her lost brother, and you have a book that almost demands that you read one more chapter. Five Stars.

Warning: This is a Christian romance book. Intimacy was referred to briefly on wedding night, but nothing was described. The focus is on the crudeness of the soldiers. I am extremely squirmy, sqeamish about such things, and thought I might have to skip some pages, but nothing came of it. Still, I would not give this book to a teenager. 
The Mark of the King
by Jocelyn Green  

Historical Fiction
Bethany House

Life in this new world requires more strength than she ever imagined.
After the death of her client, midwife Julianne Chevalier is imprisoned and branded, marking her as a criminal beyond redemption. Hoping to reunite with her brother, a soldier, she trades her life sentence for exile to the fledgling French colony of Louisiana. The price of her transport, however, is a forced marriage to a fellow convict.
New Orleans is nothing like Julianne expects. The settlement is steeped in mud and mosquitoes, and there is no news of her brother, Benjamin. When tragedy strikes, she turns to military officer Marc-Paul Girard for help, but does he know more about her brother than he will admit?
With her dreams shattered, Julianne must find her way in this dangerous land, where only grace---and love---can overcome the stigma of the king's mark upon her shoulder.

 Meet the Author
Jocelyn Green inspires faith and courage as the award-winning author of ten books to date, including Wedded to War, a Christy Award finalist in 2013; Widow of GettysburgYankee in Atlanta; and The 5 Love Languages Military Edition, which she coauthored with bestselling author Dr. Gary Chapman. A former military wife herself, her passion for military families informs all of her writing as well as her numerous speaking opportunities. Jocelyn graduated from Taylor University with a BA in English and now lives with her husband and two children in Iowa. 




Disclosure: I was sent a sample of this product for review purposes only. I was not compensated in any way. All opinions are my own based on my experience with this product. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."




This article was published in issue #129

10 comments:

  1. I was thrilled to read your excellent review, my friend. I read this book a couple weeks ago and it quickly became a favorite of mine. I am now hoping to purshase Jocelyn Green's other books {{smiles}}

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't looked to see what else she has yet. She was a new author to me. Glad you enjoyed it, too. Doing my Valentine's decorating today. Hugs back!

      Delete
  2. Very nice review. I will add this book to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginger Dawn. You always write such kind words.
      Enjoy your week. Did you see this post about free e-books?

      http://harvestlanecottage.blogspot.com/2017/01/a-beautiful-winter-day-to-read-free.html

      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. I've never read anything by her but this looks good! Since I've started researching my family history more in depth again, I'm back to being obsessed with all things French! :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'd read it first before giving it to L to read.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty book cover! I liked the review you wrote about it, It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynzie. I told your mama I think she should read it first to see what she thinks. There's nothing explicit, but there are implications. Be blessed!
      Mrs. Lane

      Delete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura