Wednesday, January 25, 2017

NOW: Purposeful Steps Toward a More Abundant Life by Mrs. Sarah Coller


Sarah Coller did it! She made me write in my book. I don't write in my books. Now Purposeful Steps Toward a More Abundant Life is a write-in-the book devotional. I couldn't help but look inward and upward to God as I read and responded to these insightful pages that pulled on my inner pushed-back-in-the-corner-and-forgotten hopes, dreams, and plans.

Sarah's engaging, friend next door, style of writing took me off guard. I found myself examining my own heart, mind, and emotions as I read and wrote through the book. I was stunned by the similarities in our journeys.

Just a few thoughts I jotted about Now.
  • breath of fresh air
  • practical
  • hope filled
  • encouragement to follow dreams
  • best friends talking over tea style
  • open and honest
  • felt connected because she shared her personal story
A few of my favorite quotes from the book:
"My desire is to encourage you to take small steps toward those dreams right now—and to be satisfied with what you are able to accomplish right now. There's nothing more encouraging to move us forward in our goals than a feeling of positive progress. It's my prayer that you will begin to take joy in small strides that will eventually result in big successes!" p. 6
 "If there's one thing I want you to take away from this study, it's that so much about living an abundant and fulfilling life has to do with your mindset and very little has to do with your circumstances." p. 21
"God will use those very weaknesses as a testimony of his grace as you walk through life holding your head up in confidence and in his strength. He'll use them to make you authentic and approachable." p. 46
"When life isn't going according to our plans, we should recognize that it might actually be going according to God's plan." p. 52
I had to stop looking for perfect circumstances and just do the next thing to the best of my ability." p. 69 
I underlined, made notes, and wrote throughout the book.

Each section contains an essay and a pray and respond section.
A few of the titles:
  • Right now
  • Purging Procrastination
  • Jesus, Be the Center
  • The Heart Check
  • Looking for Change? Change Your Mindset
  • It All Begins With a Step
  • The Comparison Trap
  • Allow for Speed Bumps, Potholes and Head-On Collisions
  • Obedience: Our Primary Motivation
This devotional made me feel motivated, hopeful, and convinced that I can begin moving forward now—not next week, next month, or next year—in what I believe God has called me to do.

Thank you so much, Sarah Coller, for asking me to review this book. I hope it will be part of my new beginning.

Sarah Coller writes at Classical Homemaking: Vintage Living for the Modern Homemaker. She is also the editor of The Christian Home Magazine which will resume publication on January 27th, 2016.

~~~~~

This article was published in issue #128 of The Christian Home Magazine.



~~~~~



Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the author. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s  “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


Read more...


Home and Garden Thursday -  Share Your Cup Thursday   Sitting Among Friends Book Nook

29 comments:

  1. This book sounds like something I would love. I am currently doing a write in style book, The Slow Lane. Once I am done with this I would def look into this book. Thanks for sharing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Sarah's style. Hope you do, too.
      Your Missouri friend,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this review! I am ordering a copy today.
    Nita in SC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a journal (an empty one) sitting here on my desk...just saying, Laura...maybes its time to do something about it, wink.

    Have a beautiful rest of the day/week, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely book! Thanks for the review, sweet friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found a devotional to encourage you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, your review blessed me so much! I'm here in tears thinking about how I felt writing those words and how much I wanted them to change lives. I'm so so thankful! Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. It means so much to me! Love you, friend. Thanks for taking this journey with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Sarah. It was a privilege. I think this is going to be a great journey.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  7. So blessed to have read your review on Mamma's book! She truly is an inspiring, blessed woman! I'm so glad that this book has encouraged you, and I'm excited to see how it will bless me as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a blessed daughter. I was honored to read her book. Your post in The Christian Home inspired me, too.
      Be blessed!
      Mrs. Lane

      Delete
  8. I agree that Sarah Coller's style definitely makes you feel like your sitting with a good friend having tea. It made me feel like someone understood my feelings and had some helpful answers. Sarah is my beautiful daughter and I feel blessed to have this talented young author in our family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Christy, you have brought up a beautiful woman of God. Thank you for your contribution to the Kingdom of God!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful and inspirational book!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was for me Calypso. Thanks for talking back!

      Delete
  10. I agree Laura! I think it's definitely about your mind set and attitude. I was as happy when we were living from pay day to pay day as I am now! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've improved a lot in my mindset. Holy Spirit is still working on me!

      Delete
  11. This looks so great. Thanks for the chance to win it so I can read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your review.
    Isn't it amazing how many times we are told that it's in our minds, and not our circumstances? 😇

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only book I ever wrote in was my Bible because my Sunday School teacher told me to.. I look back on some of that now, and wonder what was I thinking????
    Some of it though, I twist and turn and crunch up my eyes at it and think yes, I remember that! I do wish I had written a better journal than in my Bibles, it ,would have been so much better to read again, and I think I could get more out of it. Maybe in the next twenty years, these last twenty have been very challenging, in many good ways but also in difficult ones to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like that I've written notes in my Bible. The one I have is worn out, but most pages have space for notes. I like seeing what I wrote last time I read it or it was preached. A journal would be good though. I would like to get a journaling/coloring Bible that has space for lots of notes. I am not planning to color in it, but would enjoy the space. It has to have large print and be NKJV. It's the version my pastor preaches out of. It's easier that way.
      Blessings to you Annie!
      Laura

      Delete
  14. Sounds really good! Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought I already commented here on the review, but I will say it again. The review was so wonderful that I put the book on my wish list for my husband!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura