Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Control Girl by Shannon Popkin Review



Control Girl is an eye opening book. Deep at the root of many of our feelings of anger, irritation, and frustration is a desire to control. We have bought into the saying, "Mother knows best.", and we want to make everything right. Unfortunately, our idea of everything right isn't always God's idea of everything right. Even if it is, He has His own ways of bringing it about.

Shannon Popkin has written an engaging, honest to the bone, book that encourages us to look into the Bible and into history at seven women who had control issues. Guess what. Yep, it starts with Eve. We also meet Sarah, Hagar, Rebekah, Leah, Rachel, and Miriam. They each had their own unique way of trying to control the situations and people around them. Mrs. Popkins has a bold way of expressing how those same issues pop up in our lives even today. She also shows us ways to change from Control Girls to Jesus Girls.

Shannon's willingness to share how she's fallen into control traps, and the trouble it's caused with her family, gives her a credibility in my estimation that I don't think would have been possible if she'd tried to write as though she had it all together. Her belief that controlling women may eventually end up like bitter hags makes this study all the more compelling. It's got me thinking about my Control Girl issues. ~grin~

Highly recommended!
God bless you as you release control to God!
Laura


About the book: 
Control Girl by Shannon Popkin   

Christian Living
Kregel


"I control because I care."

"I just want to be sure of a happy ending."

"I worry that everything is spinning out of control."

Many women can identify with statements like these. They have a compulsion to make everything turn out just right and are willing to do anything to make it happen. But this unbalanced pursuit of control makes those around them anxious and defensive. And when they realize control is slipping from their grasp, they lose control of themselves and react in anger or fear.

Shannon Popkin knows this struggle inside and out. Keeping her inner Control Girl hidden is a full-time job. Thankfully, she also knows another very important truth: no woman has to be a Control Girl.

In this encouraging book, Shannon invites seven Control Girls from the Bible into the conversation. She examines each story for the moments in which grasping for control circumvented God's plans for good, whether it was Eve's desire to know instead of to trust, Sarah's inability to wait for God to move, or Rebekah's controlling hand on her family's future. Finally, Shannon finds God's perspective on each of the problems and then reveals how readers can have their own happy endings in similar situations.

The author shares from her own struggles and follows each Bible study with questions for personal reflection. In the end, controlling women will find insight into their own experience, peace in the knowledge that God is in control, and relief that they are free.
Learn more and purchase a copy. Free resources here, too!

About the author:

Shannon Popkin is a wife and mom, a speaker and teacher, and a leader of small group studies. She's been published by "Family Fun," "MOMsense," "Focus on the Family Magazine," and other outlets. She is a contributing blogger for True Woman.com and has blogged for several years at shannonpopkin.com. "Control Girl" is her first book.

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Find us on Pinterest View on Instagram


Disclosure: I was sent a sample of this product for review purposes only. I was not compensated in any way. All opinions are my own based on my experience with this product. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."


 Christian Blogger Homemaking Party Mommy Moments  Amaze Me Monday - Living Proverbs 31
The Art of Homemaking    Modest Mondays Mommy Monday

20 comments:

  1. I have struggled with this, but I don't want to end up a bitter hag!
    I think on the proverb, it's late, I'm too tired to look it up, that's for tomorrow morning, smile, but the one where she is a dripping water woman, and also the one where she tears down her house with her own hands. I don't want to go there, to either place. Sigh, it is midnight I need to go to bed @-@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Annie. When she used the words bitter hag, it really woke me up!

      Delete
  2. Yikes. I've been a control freak in many ways for most of my life. I know exactly where it stems from, but I have never been able to "let go and let God." I always make sure to let Him know that I KNOW what I'm talking about lol. I'm sure some will understand that particular battle. I don't want to be a bitter hag either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand Debbie. I don't either.​

      Delete
  3. Wow, I will have to check this out! I think we all at times become a bit bitter yet once we are aware that others suffer, it turns to compassion and empathy! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,

    This sounds like a read for me. As much as I'd like to deny it, I know I have control "issues". Growing up in utter chaos was the perfect environment for producing a "control freak". I too, worry that I could become a bitter hag. Knowing one has control issues, for me, is the easy part. Learning how to overcome them seems to be the challenge. I hope the advise Mrs. Popkin shares will be helpful to me. Thanks for the book review.
    Blessings,
    Mrs.B

    P.S. Are you feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs. B,
      Yes, I can understand how utter chaos could produce that result. I find I'm more aware of what is aggravating me lately. I'm trying to do better...with Jesus.
      Blessings,
      Laura

      P.S. A bit better... still a bit stuffy and throat's a bit sore.

      Delete
  5. Great review. I'll posting this week too.
    Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it interesting to see what different readers bring out in their reviews, Lynn. Blessings!
      Laura

      Delete
  6. Laura, What a visual I had when I read the review stating that controlling women end up as bitter hags...scary thought. Deleted that image from my head and focusing more on finding contentment co-piloting my life as God takes His rightful place in the Pilot's seat!! Again, a fabulous job on reviewing the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a scary visual, isn't it? Unfortunately, we have a person like that in our family that makes it very visual. I'll pray for her after I hit send! I'm trying to focus on what I can do instead of what I cannot. I find that the control issue is strange. I want to control others' behavior, but don't always control my own well! Thank you for your kind words.
      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  7. Sounds like an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I've not been by in awhile. I'll be over in just a bit.

      Delete
  8. Hi Laura! Thanks so much for your kind review of my book. I don't want to be a bitter hag either!! Aren't you glad we don't have to be? :)
    Warmly,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad, Shannon! Thank you for sharing some of the keys you've found. This is a book that is impactful! Great writing, too. God bless!

      Delete
  9. Yep, this definitely sounds like me! We started marriage with me as a very independent and controlling wife and him as a very passive and people-pleasing husband. It's taken a VERY long time to turn that around. I still struggle with some of these attitudes, almost 19 years later... I have a strong personality---I probably always will. :) Just gotta figure out how to reroute that in a Biblical way! Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just bought the kindle version. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Audra. I hope you enjoy it and find it challenging and helpful.
      God bless you!
      Laura Lane
      Harvest Lane Cottage

      Delete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I'm taking a short spring break, so I will have a lot of messages when I get back online. If you would like a reply to your comment, please be sure to leave your email address and ask me for a response. I moderate all comments, so it your comments won't show on the blog until I get back in the swing of things.

Thanks so much for your patience!

It will be good for me to unplug for a bit. Know what I mean?
Be blessed!
Laura