Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Living Well Spending Less 12 SECRETS of the Good Life by Ruth Soukup...Review


Living Well Spending Less 
12 SECRETS of the Good Life 
by Ruth Soukup of the blog, Living Well Spending Less

Ruth Soukup began life in a way few of us do. She grew up with everything she needed and wanted. This led to a belief that she should have and could have everything she needed and wanted. For awhile, this worked for her. But life has a way of catching up with us. Enough was never enough. There was always a need for more more more. In Living Well Spending Less, Mrs. Soukup shares 12 secrets that she's found to living the good life, not one of excess, but the life that God has shown her.

This was a hard book for me to get into at first. I cannot really relate to big shopping trips that fill my van with white bags with red targets on them. I can't relate to remodeling and decorating and buying designer wardrobes. I can't relate to buying anything I want just because I want it. That's not my life. It never was. I don't expect it ever will be. My life is one of living thrifty and frugal because I must, though I expect I would even if it weren't required.

Because I had to read the book to review it, I pushed through. What I found, a couple of chapters in, was that many of the emotions and challenges that Mrs. Soukup has gone through in her journey from spending more to spending less and to finding peace are more common than expected. I found myself marking quotes that I wanted to find again.

I read this book in about three days. That's pretty quickly for me. I found myself hungry for the truths she shared in a way I hadn't heard before. They weren't new to me but their application was fresh. She addressed spending, saving, budgeting, setting up a house cleaning plan, decluttering, time management, and many other things.

I think this is a good well-rounded book that women in most stages of life can benefit from. It was well organized and lined up with the Bible. She applied scripture in a practical way. Well done Mrs. Soukup!

From BookLook:
About the Author
Ruth Soukup is a recovering shopaholic and her passion is helping other women find hope and contentment in the midst of daily struggle. She is a writer, blogger, entrepreneur, photographer, DIY-er, mom and wife to her wonderful husband, and above all a child of a loving and gracious God. Ruth lives with her husband and two daughters in Florida.

I review for BookLook BloggersDisclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”


~~~~~
Related Posts:

This article is featured in issue #132 of
The Christian Home Magazine.






Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style Homestead Blog Hop Christian Blogger Link Up Raising Homemakers - A Wise Woman Builds Her Home Fluster's Creative Muster Wow Us Wednesday - Wonderful Wednesdays -  Making a Home Homemaking Party
Thursday 
 
Home and Garden Thursday -  Share Your Cup Thursday 
 Imparting Grace - Sitting Among Friends No Rules Weekend Blog Party 
Monday
Mommy Moments Monday



16 comments:

  1. I just put this on hold at the library! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope I can find this book. It looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a very interesting book, Laura. I'm so glad you shared your thoughts and now I will have to be on the lookout for it.

    Enjoy your day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might try requesting at your library, Scrappy Quilter.
    Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this book, but now that you have recommended it, I may just give it a try! Thanks for the review, and thank you for your kind words left at my blog. I hope all is well with you and your family. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Cheryl,
    I enjoy your blog. This is a new book. I'm not sure of the release date. You can buy it through the author's website, livingwellspendingless.com.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing this book review at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your review. I just bought it recently but haven't started reading, yet. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I found you through Darling Down Diaries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Laura,
    Thanks for your visit to the blog today. I did reply...LOL! Now you'll have to come see what I said! Thanks for reviewing this, I saw this and was on the fence. I am not finding anything new under the sun on the subject, if you know what I mean. So guess you helped me make up my mind. I will save the money:-)
    Blessings,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. You're welcome. Thanks for talking back. ~smile~
      Enjoy your day.
      Laura

      Delete
  11. Laura, always enjoy your book reviews. Nice to get the scoop on books before taking the chance on buying them. Have bought a couple books you have reviewed and must admit there were no "surprises" when the book arrived. Exactly as you reviewed. You are my "go to book reviewer"..(big smile) Sure hope the storms the other afternoon/night were kind in your area. We had snow, hail (3 times) and thunderstorms..and I thought of you wanting snow yet!! Crazy Midwest weather. Big hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karla,
      Thank you for your kind words. You know, I think I should probably mention in my reviews about language. I don't read books with bad language, and I forget that I should add that in. ~smile~

      We were at the bottom of the tail of the storm. It didn't last long here, but it blew and blew and there was rain, thunder and lightning, and 1/4" hail. My little dog was scared. I sat in the dark and rocked her as I prayed and kept pleading the blood of Jesus over everything and everyone I could think of.

      We haven't had many storms since the big tornado in Joplin in '11. Thank you God!
      They bother me even though I was not directly in the tornado.

      Have a great weekend Karla! Oh, my daughter Amy was really happy to find the Janette Oke books! I have a big pile of books to read now!
      Laura

      Delete
  12. Even people that have money need to learn how to budget and be a bit thrifty. You never know when your circumstances might change. I've seen it happen and they don't know how to deal with it! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're correct Jann. We never know what our future holds.

      Delete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I'm taking a short spring break, so I will have a lot of messages when I get back online. If you would like a reply to your comment, please be sure to leave your email address and ask me for a response. I moderate all comments, so it your comments won't show on the blog until I get back in the swing of things.

Thanks so much for your patience!

It will be good for me to unplug for a bit. Know what I mean?
Be blessed!
Laura