Saturday, July 1, 2017

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #106

Welcome to another Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage. I'm so glad you're here. Each week I share my thrifty and frugal projects, ways of saving money, and my blessings from God. 

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage

I am so glad you dropped in for a visit today—or tonight!
Do say hello!
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

Dear Reader,

  Hello! The holiday weekend is upon us. Have you any special plans? Things are very low key for us this year. I am so very thankful that we live in the United States of America. I appreciate and treasure the freedoms we have to worship God as we wish, free speech, the right to bear arms, and all the other freedoms that the Constitution and the Bill of Rights guarantee for us. Thank you Jesus! 

  Saturday, my step-dad is coming to teach my son to put in a ceiling fan in our dining room. He's even bringing a fan for us! That should really help our window air unit to cool the house. Thank you Rick! While he's here, we're going to ask him to help replace the light fixtures in my bedroom and one in the hall.
  
  I hope you all have a lovely weekend and be safe!  

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

 
Happy Independence Day!


A Verse for You

"Rejoice always,
pray without ceasing,
in everything give thanks;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
 ~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
Homemade decorations are best!

Here's my thrifty week!

  • Gifts and surprises! Thank you for the lovely caps Sandy and JuLinda and Karen! Thank you for the Sonic money Karla! I have received so many lovely gifts over the last few weeks. Thank you all so much!
  • My son loaned me his Kindle Fire so that I can listen to the Bible using YouVersion and Bible Gateway. Thank you Matthew.
  • My husband bought some clothes on super discount, then he added a coupon he'd been carrying around and got them super cheap!
  • I hit the dollar store and stocked up on toiletry and cleaning items. 
  • I found big oversized bars of soap that don't get all gooey and disintegrate as fast as regular sized bars. That means they last a whole lot longer. I think they were called Shugar Shack brand.
  • We found light fixtures for our bedroom wall for $5.99. Regular price was $9.98. 
  • Half-price shakes at Sonic after 8 p.m. for the whole crew. Just one thing on my summer bucket list!
That's my thrifty week.

What are you doing in your home this week?

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

ღLauraღ
...doing what I can with what I've got
where I am on a short shoestring budget!

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

Are you saving for Christmas?

It's time to start saving your pennies
and your nickles and your rocks for Christmas!

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

19 comments:

  1. Nothing here...broke is the word, lolol...nice to see you Laura...oh how I wish we had a Sonic here, smiles.

    Have a beautiful weekend, friend. Remember, take some down time and don't be wonder woman, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying often for you! I am so thankful to be living in America, too. How blessed we are! Happy 4th of July to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picking strawberries, pie cherries and sweet cherries from our trees for the freezer! Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Independence Day, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello friend! A quiet weekend for us here. Happy for the ceiling fan for you all. Thank you to your wonderful step dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. God Bless you Laura, Praying your days are sprinkled with joy and happiness among the hardships and trials. I know it's hard to sometimes see the blessings when things seem so overwhelmingly difficult. Some days I feel like I have to squint REALLY HARD to see them (smiling)...and then just like a whisper, the Good Lord puts it into my heart just how blessed I am. I'm finding myself using my hearing much more than "Squinting" these days. A Gentle Hug Laura, Karla

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY 4th Of July.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy July 4th to you and family.. We celebrated with kids/grandkids today , as they won't be able to come on Tuesday. I too, am so happy to be an American.. We are so blessed.
    Proud you had a good day and found bargains. Praying for you..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, glad you were able to do a little more this week.
    As always, you & your family are in my prayers.
    Be blessed and find peace. My thoughts are with you, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday America!
    God Bless You!
    Hope you have a wonderful holiday Laura!

    We are cooking out at my SILs house, my MIL is going to be 84 years old that day!
    Mamaw!
    I am taking a dessert and some other side,not sure what yet.

    I was able to buy a nice Eden Pure heater for this winter at at yard sale for $7.00.
    I also got a good glass measuring cup $1.00, and two wedding ring pillow shams,
    $1.00 for both. And a nice wooden shelf, three feet in length for $3.00. I am going to paint it and hang it upon my kitchen. It had nice big hooks for cups on the bottom slat.
    I got a few good buys lately on those pallet auctions Itold you about awhile back. They are still going strong here. I got a couple of unused new heaters, two nice fans, some power serge strips, a zoodle veggie cutter, a small radio antennae, and a few other odds and ends in last couple of months.

    I got a couple packs of polish brats on sale, some marked down fruit, marked down lettuce and cucumbers, and some pasta salad boxes marked down. Mostly freezer
    stock for later on.
    Plus just the regular things I do to try and save, every time I empty out one of the big blue dawn bottles, I make hand sanitizer in the bottom of the bottle, It is only a squirt or two, plus alcohol, and lots of water. It works just as well as those tiny bottles, and costs so very little. The only trick is to use only enough dawn that cleans up your hands, but does not leave a soapy residue. A little goes a long way. It is not the same as washing with soap and water, but it works to clean up in the car, or around the garden.
    That's about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did excellently Annie! I'm always inspired by your creativity and thriftiness. Be blessed!

      Delete
  11. Yum on the milkshakes!! I hope you have a relaxing July 4th holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great thriftiness. I love Sonic shakes! Have a great week.
    The Fabulous Party is open at Our Holiday Journey. I've missed you come over and link!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Laura. Hope you have a splendid holiday. That ceiling fan will be more of a blessing than you can imagine both in summer and in winter. You just change the direction the fan turns.
    Happy day to you 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice holiday considering I had chemo the day before. We had a nice lunch, then the family went to the park to see the fireworks. I stayed home, but I thought it wouldn't be best for me to be with crowds.
      Happy July!
      Laura

      Delete
  14. I'm so happy you're being blessed by so many with things to make your days better. :)

    My hubs had to work today so it doesn't/didn't feel like a holiday weekend at all! Our plans for tomorrow are getting our grass cut before our doggy gets lost going out to go potty!! We're gonna need to tie one of those tall neon flags to him!!

    We did have a fun & cheap date on Saturday. The Red Cross had a blood drive at the zoo in Wichita (less than an hour away). After we gave blood, they fed us pizza & Girl Scout cookies. Then we got free admission into the zoo and were given snacks & water & a free tshirt! We had a wonderful time. The only thing we paid for inside was a couple of drinks. Total cost for a lovely day: $2.17 & a couple of pints of blood!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a really neat cheap date! They have to use an ultrasound machine to get to my deep veins. Thank you God for my port!

      Delete
  15. Hi Laura,
    You don't know me but I stumble across your blog at a link in on Strangers and Pilgrims. I am sorry to hear about your cancer struggle, but I wanted to encourage you that our God is a great and holy God and for Him nothing is impossible. I know this because almost 28 years ago I was diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma, stage 4 large cell aggressive. It was in my breasts, stomach, heart, lungs, spleen, liver, and my spine. I was given weeks to live if the chemo didn't work. I had chemo for 6 or 8 weeks, I can no longer remember. I had daily radiation for 4 weeks, and then I had 5 spinal chemos. Those were the worst! After all that I was cancer free for a few months and then the cancer returned in my hip bone. I was given months to live. So I along with my husband started to prepare for my death. I had two little boys at that time. Then one day I just started to feel better. It was nothing I did. An appointment at the cancer clinic confirmed that the cancer was gone. The doctors had no explanation for this, but I do. It was my heavenly Father who in gracious mercy brought healing to me. Since then, I went on to have 6 more children. Another miracle as my ovaries were not protected at all from the radiation. I don't know what the Lord has in store for you and your family, but I do know that for the Lord nothing is impossible. Hope you are encouraged by this, but mostly I hope you are encouraged in your faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. To Him belongs all the praise and glory.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jackie, you brought tears to my eyes! God is indeed great and more powerful than ANY kind of cancer at ANY stage. NOTHING is impossible with God. NOTHING!

      I will live and not die and declare the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living! Psalm 118

      Thank you so much for sharing your story with me! I do hope many others read this, too.

      Sincerely,
      Laura

      Delete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor