Friday, August 25, 2017

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #112

Welcome to another 
Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage!

Each week I share ways I've saved money, my thrifty and frugal projects, and my blessings from God. 

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage

I am so glad you dropped in for a visit today—or tonight!
Please say hello! I'm always looking for new blog friends!
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

Dear Reader,

  My husband was the thrifty one this week! On Saturday, our van wouldn't start. He found it was a very, very dead battery. He bought one and installed it himself. It was a lot of money, but we didn't have to pay the mechanic. Late Saturday night, our plumbing backed up terribly. He stayed home Sunday morning and fixed it himself saving us at least a hundred dollars in plumber charges.

  Well, I am under house arrest. Giggle. Not really, but I am supposed to stay home as much as possible. I'm under neutropenic precaution, because my blood counts are too low. That means I need to be extra careful of germs and be a homebody. It's a little discouraging, but I thank God that I've not been this way the entire time. In a month, chemo will be done. Thank you Jesus! 

  It's been a rough week. I was surprised since the first few days after chemo were better than usual. Ah well. Nurse Walker says it's because the effects are cumulative. Speaking of which, I love Nurse Walker. We even talked knitting yesterday after my appointment, and she showed me her latest project. I used to go to church with her ahem years ago. 

  So, not much on my thrifty list this week, but we shall go on. Next week might be much better since I know I'll be at home. 

God bless!
Laura

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
A Verse for You

“They cried unto thee (God), 
and were delivered: 
they trusted in thee, 
and were not confounded.” 
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

Here's my thrifty week including blessings I received.

Amy's birthday barbeque.
  • My Lowell fixed a barbecue dinner for my daughter's birthday.
  • My husband fixed the van. He saved at least $65 in mechanic's charges.
  • He traded in the dead battery at the store for $12 which paid for his charcoal and supplies for the cookout we had for my daughter's 16th birthday.
  • My Lowell also fixed the plumbing. That saved at least $100 in weekend charges. 
  • My husband gave my daughter some cash so that she can buy exactly what she needs for her birthday, and it will be her style.
  • I ordered some cute little pumpkin pie slice earrings for my Amy's birthday from an Etsy seller. 
  • We use PAC Physics and Chemistry for high school. We have the 1st year set. I was checking and found that the book one set was missing. After searching, I bid and won a replacement set on ebay for about 25% less than buying a new set. 
  • I didn't go out for lunch with my daughter yesterday like I wanted to. 
  • I used yarn that had been given to me to work on Tribbles for a gift.
  • My friend, Joyce, gave me some colloidal silver. It is doing wonders healing my port surgery wound which has been red and sore since May.
  • My Lowell made a clean out the refrigerator stir-fry that was delicious!

That's my thrifty week.

What are you doing in your home this week?

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

ღLauraღ
...doing what I can with what I've got
where I am on a short shoestring budget!

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

And I thought I hated
photos of myself before!
Ah well all is vanity!


~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

24 comments:

  1. Good morning dear friend! My but things sure like to hit in packs do they not? Good going on your Lowell for taking it upon himself to fix things! Prayers for you and your "house arrest" and those symptoms. I felt the urge to pray for you quite a lot last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening my sweet friend! They do hit in packs! I've been under house arrest for a day and a half and already want out. I did sit in the sun for 15 minutes to get some sun today. I then moved to the porch to enjoy the breeze a bit longer. I sat and enjoyed knitting, but found myself nodding off. The combination of anemia and the relentless bathroom troubles have made me feel very tired. I did a bit of kitchen work this morning, but rested most of the afternoon and evening.

      Be blessed, I'll be over for a visit in just a bit.
      Laura

      Delete
  2. I am inspired by your frugality. I like to think of myself as frugal as well, but let's face it, there is always room for improvement. I had a revelation the other day. I was wanting to donate to the ministry that inspires me so much, but I couldn't find anything in my budget. Then I was reminded that I am to put GOD first, and worldly concerns last, so I made the donation, and I then cut back in other areas. I realized that this will be my inspiration to be more frugal. Whenever I am tempted to spend money on something that I can't take to Heaven with me, I will instead set aside that money for the ministry. This will be a tough one for me, as I am naturally one who covets just about everything I see, but I have faith that Jesus will be by my side when Satan sets something shiny and sparkly in my path :) I will pray for you to move through your illness with as little pain and discomfort as possible. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious looking meals, Laura!! The bbq made my mouth water. I'm making pulled pork for dinner tonight and now I'm REALLY looking forward to it!!

    Yay for Lowell for taking up the TW tethers! It sounds like he did great. My husband is also trying to save us some money with two plumbing issues. It's nothing desperate so he's trying one thing, then another. Last resort is the plumber and I hope we don't get that far!

    Pumpkin pie earrings sound adorable!! Are they clay? Some years ago, my art group decided to make summer charms. We each made 12 so everyone got one of everything. I made little clay watermelons and they turned out way cuter than I expected. I'd love to see those little pies.

    I am still praying for you, my friend! You hang in there, stay away from germs- it probably wouldn't hurt to wear a mask as there are several horrible colds going around this part of Kansas- and do something restful like crocheting or reading.

    Blessings to you, Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "In a month chemo will be done". Yipee! It always helps to keep our eyes ahead and just get through the weeks between chemo treatments. (Been there, done that, in 1995, 1998 and 2005). Praying that your treatments and surgery will bring you to the land of NED (no evidence of disease) and that you will remain there for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know chemo is cumulative. I was waiting for the shoe to drop. I just want you to remember, we are all praying for you and the Savior took on this burden for you. He suffered all for us and try to give it up to him. The worst will be over in a month. Love ya Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your daughter! You stay in and take care of yourself. Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura,
    I,m a breast cancer survivor (mine was fast growing & estrogen dependent). Anyway, I have some yarn that is very nice & I would be happy to send it to you if you're interested. If so, my email address is: asl_loman@att.com where you can send me your address. Sandy Prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry that it has been a rough week. Try to rest as much as you can. I'm glad that it isn't flu season, so you don't have to worry about those germs anyway. You are almost done with chemo! Plan a celebration or trip, to give yourself something to look forward to.
    Handy husbands are the best! So glad your hubby was able to fix the car and plumbing.
    Sending hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking of and praying for you yesterday, Laura.
    You were on my heart!
    Stay in and rest your soul as well as your body.
    Oh...I would love to hear how your hubby does that chicken!
    It looks amazing, and much better than mine. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm going to have to have Lowell write up a recipe and share it.
      Thank you,
      Laura

      Delete
  10. Hope you have a better week a head. Blessings of a handy husband!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm past the halfway point, so I'm hoping for the best.
      Be blessed, I'll be over for a visit soon.
      Laura

      Delete
  11. We were at the lake house all week so rest was what we did. This is huge for my husband's brain healing. We enjoyed our waterfront deck for most meals and swimming in the lake. Our oldest daughter brought two of our grandchildren over to swim and we had a great time. I cooked lunch for us all instead of going out which has become the norm since the kids ask for Chick fil A. I bought Sczechwan stir fry kits from Aldi and added some chicken and a pot of rice. The sauce was absolutely delicious and we will be buying those again.

    I found a turkey roaster at a thrift store that is the kind I prefer and in a larger size than the one I have for $1.25. This is a real help since our family has grown to 18.

    Staying home on purpose is hard. I used to have to do it for and allergy treatment I tried. I will be praying for you. Our church is live streaming on Sundays which has really been a blessing for us. Do you have that option?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad your having a good week, thrifty or not!
    As you know, mine is in the toilet! I love my Mother-in-law, my sisters & brothers-in-law, but not all at 1 time, in a small house! The worry about a hurricane washing away everything I own, etc isn't making for any peace in my soul, I hope you have found yours!
    Be blessed, as always your in my prayers, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura,
    I'm sorry you are stuck at home. Maybe you can get some crafting done. What are Tribbles?
    I didn't have a huge thrifty week. I got Lion Brand Homespun yarn on clearance for about $5.00 at Hobby Lobby and some crochet cotton for $2.00. So I have some crochet projects to start. You take care of yourself. I'm going to email you because I want to send you something in the mail. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Laura,

    The pain I felt this morning was bad. I'd gladly take any that you have if it makes you feel better. You're so brave and I just want you to know it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been thinking of you, Laura...you need to rest...I know, I know...easier said then done. Keeping you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, it is hard to rest. Yesterday, however, my body didn't take no for an answer. I slept a good part of the afternoon and sat the rest of the time.

      I put some laundry in this morning. I've been looking for a new pattern for a hat. I need to get some knitted before it gets any colder.

      Be blessed!
      Laura

      Delete
  16. Sorry you are on house arrest, but enjoy your time and do just what you love! It's great you married a handyman....it sure saves $$ huh? Happy Birthday to your daughter; that BBQ chicken looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Little Penpen, he's not naturally inclined to be a handy man, but he's faced these problems before and learned how to do them. I am so thankful he is willing to try! Great to have a cook, too. Gotta love him!
      God bless!
      Laura

      Delete
  17. Oh Laura, I am so very sorry that the low bloodcount/stay at home has hit you. So very hard.. My brother in law, did this too, and he became depressed.. He was alone most of the time, as his children/grandchildren live a good ways from him.. His wife is dead. My hubby would call him every day and talked with him, he missed conversations.. He missed church so much too.. I am praying for you Laura.. You are a very brave, loving and trusting lady.. God will see you through this.
    Happy late birthday to your daughter.. Sounds like she had a wonderful birthday.. Earrings sound so pretty..[Thank God for internet shopping..smile] Hugs sweet Laura.. Hang in there..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Miss laura, I am sorry to hear your having a rough time with your chemo. It will pass, of this you can be sure. I know your faith will carry you thru it all. Know we are all here praying for you,our sister in christ.
    And as for you not liking your photos of yourself, you are beautiful,inside and out. Warmth and light shine from your face my dear. True beauty always shines through. No more derogatory comments about yourself. We won't hear of it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, Laura! I enjoyed reading this post. Your thriftiness is always inspiring! God bless you, friend! Love you! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor