Wednesday, November 8, 2017

REVIEW: 'Twas The Evening of Christmas by Glenys Nellist and illustrated by Elena Selivanova



"'Twas the evening of Christmas, when all through the town,
Every inn was so crowded, no room could be found.
Tired Mary and Joseph, who went door to door,
At last found a place on a small stable floor."

   So begins Zondervan's new Christmas picture book 'Twas the Evening of Christmas written by Glenys Nellist and illustrated by Elena Selivanova. As might be expected from the quote above, it is written in the same rhyming fashion of Clement C. Moore's poem 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. This makes the book a pleasure on the ears as it is read aloud.

   My taste in children's books is that the illustrations seem realistic and not cartoonish or silly. I don't think even the smallest child needs much of that. These illustrations are nice. They lean more towards realistic, though though they obviously aren't meant to be portraits but representations. The colors are rich and beautiful.

  The story is nice but fictionalized a bit. I think this was probably to make it fit into the rhyming sequence. Of course, none of us were there to witness the account. I think that the thing that bothered me most in the book was the description and the illustration of baby Jesus lying on a bed of hay naked (nothing important shows) without even a blanket beneath him. What loving father or mother would do that? The Bible clearly states, "swaddling clothes".  I really didn't like that. It was a bit too much "poetic license" for me. I think that when we are writing about a historical, Biblical event as important as our Savior's birth, we need to be sure we are teaching truth.

  All in all, compared to many recent children's books I've seen it's a good book. Is it my first choice for a picture book? No, probably not. It's a nice story book, but I would like a bit more accuracy. Just my honest opinion.

Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night....


$16.99
Zondervan

Disclosure: I was sent a sample of this product for review purposes only. I was not compensated in any way. All opinions are my own based on my experience with this product. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."







8 comments:

  1. Laura,
    Thanks for sharing your review. Hope you are healing and recovering well. Praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the review...and I just love your new background here...keeping you in prayer, sweet friend. I finally go in on the 16th for my surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know! Thank you.

    Continuing to pray-
    With Love,
    Kellylynn in TX

    P.S
    Love your new blog background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You for the review. Hope you are feeling better. You are in my prayers.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the review on this book. I appreciate your opinions and agree with you on teaching the truth..no matter what age we are dealing with. Am looking for books to read to my 3 year old granddaughter..that aren't all about Santa and presents being the focus of Christmas. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. As I welcome in the crisp fall weather and watch the fields being harvested around our homestead, I think of you, how you posted this summer some time that you were so looking forward to fall when the chemo and surgery was over and you could get back into the "normal day to day again' and enjoy the fall and Thanksgiving season..I sure hope you are feeling better with each passing day. God loves you dear lady as do many of your friends on here. Take care and God Bless you.
    Sending a gentle hug, Karla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your honest review on this. I think I will skip buying it because my older two grandsons would quickly pick up on exactly what you did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you always do an honest review. I was thinking how wonderful this book would be, until you told us about the part of Him lying naked, instead of in swaddling clothing. However, it may be the closest thing that some kids will learn about the true meaning of Christmas, right? I hope your week is going well. Thinking of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura, thank you for the wonderful review! I'm praising God that you are healing and sharing on your blog with us. Enjoy this beautiful time of year with your family. Warm Regards, Helen

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura