Sunday, May 8, 2022

Unthankful or Thankful?


“The unthankful heart discovers no mercies; 
but the thankful heart will find, 
in every hour, 
some heavenly blessings.” 

 Henry Ward Beecher

There are times in my life when I have lived near the poverty line, maybe even below it at some point. But God. Although our income was low, I always had hope in Jesus, in God, that circumstances would get better. He made a way for us when there seemed to be no way. 

God used the financial troubles that my husband and I had to draw us closer to him. He helped me to understand his love and his provision. Give us this day our daily bread. He always did. We didn't go without what we truly needed. We might get really low on groceries, but he gave me creativity to make something out of what might seem like nothing.

He grew me in so many ways through the years and through the hard times. "They were the best of times, they were the worst of times....".
They were the best of times, because I learned to be thrifty, creative, and thankful. They were the worst of times, because I didn't always trust God, but was worried, anxious and depressed at times. 

One thing I know for sure, the hard times are the growing times. I also know that to trust God quickly and be thankful are two keys to reducing the fear, worry, and depression. 

I have found focus to be key. I choose to focus of God, focus on good, focus on kindness, focus on thrift, and focus on creativity. God has taken my depression away. I also rarely have the anxiety that I used to have. Jesus has been my savior and deliverer. 

He is good and I will praise him. I choose to trust him with the things that bring me fear or anxiety. He's good. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge him, and he will make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Be blessed dear ones,
Laura

7 comments:

  1. Dear Laura, I sit and read your post as I too have endured some very, very hard things. Just last nigh I was talking to my husband about how hard things and hard times are absolutely for your good! IF you belong to God, IF your are his Child. And actually how the worst could and probably would happen if he were to always instantly change our circumstances.

    But, I was thinking that perhaps your hard financial times were used to build your faith and character, so that when cancer struck, you could remain strong and faithful and not anxious, and then make posts on your blog just such as this that greatly encourages many others, like me 😊 I am a quiet reader of your blog. But, please know we mention you in our prayers often. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember in Little House on the Prairie, where Ma admonishes, Laura for not being grateful for her cold potatoes? That always struck me. We always have something to be thankful for. I too lived in poverty for years, and years, I hated it, but I made it. I was not always grateful, for which I am ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! So very true and we are always growing because it’s about sanctification on His terms and timetable! Thank God for His Grace and Provisions!
    Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed this today Laura. Thank you and God bless you always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspirtional post. It feels so "soft" and confortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always find your blog meaningful! Thankful for those unashamed to proclaim their love for God.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor