Friday, June 24, 2022

Laura Lately ~ A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #178


Sometimes life can be a bit of a tangle.
Don't give up! Just work it out knot by knot.

Hello everyone,

 I'm keeping this week's post simple. I'm fighting a headache again, and just needed to get it done. ~smile~ I apologize for the lack of photos. The one above is some yarn a friend gave me recently. I plan to make a pair of shorty socks with it. 

 It seems everywhere I look that I'm seeing, hearing, or reading about the anxiety folks are feeling over what could happen in the next few months. I've never been a prepper—mostly because I've not had extra to prep with. Nevertheless, I am going to try to be more intentional about doing what I can with what I've got where I am. Perhaps you're in the same situation. Just because we cannot do a lot does not mean we should not do what we can. I'm feeling convicted about that just now. 


In the Kitchen

  • I stirred up a sourdough starter on Monday. I've been feeding it all week—morning and evening. I've named it Doughy. I'm learning! I hope I can make some pancakes or waffles next week sometime. I've heard it has to be a few weeks old before I can make bread.
  • We enjoyed Countrytime Lemonade from a mix my husband won as part of a lemon themed gift basket. The basket also had some pretty cups and a lemon covered tablecloth. He put the black tote in his car to keep little things corralled.
  • I put a baked chicken carcass in the freezer to make soup later. 
  • I sliced up the last of the pork steaks and put leftover bbq sauce on it. There's enough for a couple of good sized bbq pork sandwiches later. It's awaiting a meal for two in the freezer.
  • I also started a dump stew container in the freezer. I'm putting leftover veggies and such in it. It is for beef or venison stew. I used a Blue Bunny ice cream container. When it's full, I'll make an interesting soup. 

Dinners

  • Saturday we ate bison burgers. They were a gift from a friend.
  • Sunday My husband smoked the pork steaks that my son bought on sale for $1.99 lb. We ate corn on the cob with the pork.
  • Monday I made a thrifty favorite from my kids' childhood. Tamale pie. It's a pound of hamburger made into taco meat. I added the corn from 3 cobs that were leftover and a small can of green chiles. This went into a 8x8 casserole with a batch of scratch cornbread batter poured over the top. I baked it for about 30 minutes until golden. Yum.
  • Tuesday my husband and I went out for dinner. We got queso and one dinner and shared it.
  • Wednesday I made chili in the crock pot. Yep. We eat chili year round here. I used one pound of hamburger, a can of diced tomatoes a friend gave me, a can of tomato sauce, an onion, and four cans of chili beans that we bought at Aldi to stock the pantry.
  • Thursday my daughter, Emily, made a chicken stir-fry. My husband and I ate at a business after hours at a ribbon cutting event.
  • Friday night was macaroni and tomatoes with hamburger left over from the chili Wednesday.

In the Bathroom
  • I refilled our little soap dispenser with some body wash my dad gave us and topped it off with water to thin it down. I shook it up, and it is working fine.
  • I squeezed every bit of toothpaste I could out of the tube for replacing it.

In the Workbasket
  • I'm knitting socks for gifts. There are four men in my life and all have size 13 feet. How'd that happen? I finished knitting my daughter's Christmas socks. I just need to weave in the ends.
  • I'm collecting things that need to be mended—everything from our kitten's toy mouse to my husband's suit jacket. It's about time to mend towels again, too. 

Books and Such
  • I reviewed a book, Midnight's Budding Morrow, that I received free for review.
  • I am now reading The Songs That Could Have Been by Amanda Wen. Click here to enter the giveaway. It's a free review book, too. 
  • I am listening to a few books on Scribd including Spanish Verb Conjugation, The Art of Neighboring, Hand Made, and The Five Second Rule.
  • I've listened to music and homemaking videos for free on YouTube. I especially like Mrs. Lydia Sherman and Inspired by Nikki.

Out and About

Surprises
  • I received a box in the mail filled with yarn in fall colors. Thank you Ellie! She included some peppermint tea (I was out) and lemonade mixes as well. It was joy-ful.
  • I saw one of my little students at Walmart. I said her name, and she came right to me and hugged me and kissed my cheek. I quickly told her grandma that I was one of her teachers. It was joy-ful!
I close with a quote from a Thrifty Week post from 2016:

"I cannot stress enough how important it is to save for rainy days. I am a squirrel. I have been squirreling a little money here and there as it comes to me for years. It's been very helpful in this time of unemployment. Even if you can only save a few dollars or even a few cents, please do it. It's the only reason we've still got money after no income for two months. The other thing I had was some food in the freezer. 

Prepare while you can ladies!"

I wish you all well ladies, do what you can with what you've got where you are! 

Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage, 

Laura


 

20 comments:

  1. Hello! I hope your headache is gone. Sometimes the heat can cause them. You gave me many good ideas,, my friend. I never thought to freeze a carcass for soup later! Thanks! Have a cozy weekend. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No headache today, thank you Jesus! I always have trouble waiting for the broth from the carcass to cool down, then it takes a lot of room in the fridge or freezer. One day I decided to be lazy. It works great!

      Delete
  2. HOLA LAURA ¿COMO ESTAS TANTO TIEMPO? TUS PUBLICACIONES SIEMPRE DAN ANIMO Y HACES QUE ME OLVIDE POR UN MOMENTO DE LO MAL QUE ESTAN LAS COSAS EN TODO EL MUNDO, DIFICIL EN TODAS PARTES, MUCHA VIOLENCIA, EXTREMA POBREZA (NO ES NUESTRO CASO) SE QUE HAY MILES DE PERSONAS QUE PASAN HAMBRE, NO TIENEN HOGAR, NO TIENEN TRABAJO ECT. ESTOS DIAS SE CELEBRO EL DIA DEL REFUGIADO O IMIGRANTE Y VI ESCENAS EN LA TELEVISION QUE ME DEJARON SIN PALABRAS, GENTE HUYENDO DE SUS LUGARES DE SU PUEBLO BUSCANDO UN LUGAR MEJOR PARA VIVIR, ¿NO ES TERRIBLE TODO ESO? GRACIAS A LA MISERICORDIA DE JEHOVA, VIVIMOS Y RESPIRAMOS TODAVIA, TENEMOS EL PAN EN NUESTRA MESA, ROPA Y CALZADO Y UN LUGAR DECENTE DONDE VIVIR, ¿COMO NO AGRADECERLE AL DADOR DE LA VIDA DE TODAS LAS BENDICIONES QUE TENEMOS? TE ENVIO UN GRAN ABRAZO A LA DISTANCIA Y QUE TE SANES PRONTO DE TU DOLOR DE CABEZA, ¿PASAS POR MI BLOG? VERAS LINDAS IMAGENES DE MI FAMILIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Hola amigo!
      Ha sido un largo tiempo. Vendré y visitaré tu blog. Sí, muchas cosas terribles están sucediendo en todo el mundo. Encuentro que debo mantener mi enfoque en Dios, Jesús, mi familia y mi hogar la mayor parte del tiempo. Si presto demasiada atención a las noticias, siento una ansiedad terrible. Me alegro de que estés a salvo y tengas lo que necesitas. Que Dios te siga protegiendo y proveyendo en el nombre de Jesús.

      Delete
  3. Hi Laura~ I love your thrifty posts, you always give me such good ideas. I feel so good when I am thrifty! We drove an old Cadillac for 21 years, that was 6 years old when we bought it. We then sold it to my grandson, for very little, and he drove it for 3 more years and then sold it. I still see it on the road occasionally...pretty thrifty! Thanks for sharing, Laura! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, Hugs to you! I think there are great advantages to driving old cars. My doors no longer lock, but no one bothers it anyway! No, I don't leave anything tempting inside. ~smile~

      Delete
  4. Every little bit is getting us there. I bought a pound of strawberries on sale for 1.09 and sliced and froze them on a baking sheet. When they were frozen I poured them into t quart jar and put them away on the freezer for later. I figure that putting some in muffins later on will be a fresh taste of summer. Sweet potatoes were on sale so I bought 4 huge ones and baked them and let them cool. Each one went in a freezer bag and into the freezer for later. We picked about 2 pounds of green beans from our container garden this morning and canned two pints. Every bit of that food may be important later and I know I started from fresh ingredients that cost very little. We can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing much better at every little bit. I did have to throw away some leftovers that got old today (trash day). It made me feel sad. I don't take chances with letting leftovers get too old. Food poisoning is not thrifty. You did some great things recently. I never thought about freezing baked sweet potatoes. How do they turn out? Have a great week! I'll be by for a visit soon.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
    2. I honestly think the sweet potatoes are every bit as good as fresh baked or maybe even better. I just slip off the skin and mash with some butter and a bit of brown sugar. Then reheat in the microwave. They are delicious!

      Delete
    3. That does sound delicious Lana. I'll have to try it soon.

      Delete
  5. Deb in FL, formerly of CarthageJune 25, 2022 at 2:05 PM

    I understand some anxiety in light of current situations, but God promises to provide our DAILY bread, not a storehouse of bread for years into the future. He will take care of you and your family! We must not let fear take us captive. God is completely in control of EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you know I've lived that promise my friend! I appreciate the reminder. You're always a wise encourager.Sending a hug,Laura

      Delete
    2. a note on sourdough starter ,it just needs to be real bubbly and active to use . Then you will get a good rise. You don't have to wait weeks to use it. And We must all of us look to to our Jehovah Jireh ,the LORD who provides. I love your Thrifty posts! It helps and motivates me.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Henri. This is all so new to me. I wonder, does the starter need to be thick? Mine isn't yet. God always provides. Thank you Jesus!

      Delete
  6. I have learned to avoid some blogs as the writers also exhibit much fear and anxiety over the days to come. We can ponder Matthew 6:34 and Luke 12:21 and as Deb says, our daily bread rather than a stockpile. My beloved has cancer, so rather than worrying every day about the future we take each day as the blessing that it is. Shopping is limited to necessities ( yes , we try and buy a bit extra when a sale is good) and we are thankful that most of the places we need to go are nearby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can certainly understand that. I am trying to be careful. I do think that it's reasonable to prepare under regular circumstances. When I had cancer, it was the last thing on my mind. I certainly understand. I pray that God will perform a miracle in your husband's body. I ask it in Jesus' name.

      Delete
    2. Thank your for your prayers, they are much appreciated. I also started some sourdough recently using the King Arthur Flour recipe and it turned out well.

      Delete
  7. My Mom used to make your tamale pie, but called it chili pie. I didn’t care for it growing up but enjoy it nowadays a great deal. Same thing with onions, I didn’t like them growing up but we use a lot of them these days. I hope your headache is gone by now. Sounds like you had a good, frugal week. I hope this week is good to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Belinda. I feel much better now. I'm doing what I can this week. Traveling a bit, too.

      Delete
  8. So good to hear from you! Hope your headache is long gone. And what a wise quote. Hope you are enjoying summer so far.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor