Sunday, May 28, 2023

Homeschooling - If God Leads You to It, God Will Lead You Through It

 


​Homeschooling was never in the plan.  Back in the early '90s, I met a couple of homeschooling families. They were a bit odd but quite nice. That was my first exposure. Later, as a member of the Conservative Book Club, I was sent a book by Raymond and Dorothy Moore called The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook.​ I also came across The Christian Home School by Gregg Harris around the same time. Soon, I was hearing Dr. Dobson talk about homeschooling with Dr. Moore on Focus on the Family. 

God just lead me to it. My Lowell agreed. We decided to do it for a year.  My family disagreed with us even though it was just kindergarten.  That was the year of Columbine. After that, my mom stopped fighting me.

I found Charlotte Mason through The Elijah Company catalogs. I read them cover to cover to learn how to homeschool and to get recommendations. I've always been a reader. That's what appealed to me about CM. I'm not sure where in the process I found Karen Andreola. Her books were invaluable to me.

Mrs. Andreola taught about Charlotte Mason's gentler way of learning. Short lessons, lots of variety, real living books, nature study, etc. It lead me to use whole books, hands-on activities, and life experiences along with our math books and such. I now have grown children aged 21 through 32. They are intelligent, self-motivated, life-long learners who know how to find information, study for themselves, discuss issues, and solve problems. 

One of my sons had the courage to fix a rather involved brake problem with my older daughter's car. I asked him how he knew what to do. His father isn't mechanically inclined with vehicles. "YouTube!" he said. He was brave enough to tear her car apart and persevere when it got hard. I am thankful and proud.

Don't be afraid. Don't get caught in workbooks only. Teach them to learn. Provide a print rich environment. Model a love of reading and learning. Do hands on things. Make God, The Bible, and church central in your life. God will lead you in the path for your children to prepare for each one's future.

You can homeschool. I highly recommend that you read Mrs. Karen Andreola's books, A Charlotte Mason Companion and Mother Culture: For a Happy Homeschool. She no longer writes her blog, Moments with Mother Culture, but you can still find a wealth of information there.  She is a wonderful resource for homeschoolers who are starting, who need some new ideas, or who need a little encouragement and mother culture. She is approachable and friendly. 

I will never regret the years I spent homeschooling. My children think for themselves. They can pursue any type of future the LORD has for them.  We were  able to give them experiences that helped them to explore their areas of interest. We did it all on a very low income with God's provision and favor. He made a way where there seemed to be no way. We stood at the crossroads, and we chose the ancient path* where the good way was and is. Someone else might say we chose the road less traveled. 

It was hard. It was good. It was worth it all. 

Be brave and courageous,
Laura Lane

~~~~~
~~~~~

*"This is what the LORD says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But you said, 'We will not walk in it.'" Jeremiah 6:16 NIV

5 comments:

  1. AMEN to your post above! Dr. Dobson and Dr. Moore were hugely influential in our decision to homeschool the younger three of our six children (starting in 1985).
    We got no support from family or church members/friends, as these were the ‘very early days’, and many of those people were teachers…LOL! But we persevered and GREATLY enjoyed our time together, learning.
    One of our sons became, at the age of nine, very interested in a new field, something called a ‘computer’. Homeschooling allowed ‘delight-directed study’, whereby he was able to build his own computer when he was 11, and had taught himself three computer languages by the time he was 17. He chose not to attend college but has risen to a very high position in a world-wide company because he thinks ‘outside the box’. We attribute all of this to God’s direction and offer the history not to brag, but to underscore one of the side benefits of home education….TIME!
    I, like you, now enjoy encouraging the younger moms who are educating their children at home. The authors/books you reference in this post were some that really helped our journey. God bless you! Conni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story and how it worked for you Conni!

      Delete
  2. We were led to it too! And our adult children now are all productive, life-long learners. Even the boy who struggled to learn to read (at age 11) is now (age 30) reading plenty of fiction and non-fiction alike. They are all handy with tools, creative, and interesting. All have or are serving in the military, have or will soon complete higher education, and know how to search for answers. Isn't it a blessing to see the fruits of our labors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura :) I had to comment on this, as I homeschooled my boys for a total of 20 years and I loved every thing about it. They graduated in 2011 and 2017 and are both thriving (without college) as worship leaders and they own their own music production company. I could not be prouder of them. They are wonderful fathers and husbands and have educated themselves much more extensive than I ever did.

    I loved the Elijah Co!. That catalog was like a handbook for me, in the early days. We started homeschooling back in 1997 when you still kept your kids inside until the ps kids got home, just so your neighbors wouldn't question you.

    I only knew two families at church that homeschooled and they had just begun. I was a faithful listener of Focus on the Family and I heard Dr. Dobson talking to Raymond Moore one day and he mentioned how kids are more confident, the longer they stay home, verses being thrown into the peer setting. That convinced me that it was what I wanted to do. And the rest is history, as they say!

    After graduating my youngest in 2017, my family convinced me to write a book about our journey, so I did and I titled it "I Could Never Do That! And Other Homeschooling Obstacles You Need to Get Over." because that's what people always say when they find out you homeschool and you're with your kids all day..."I could never do that!" :)
    (You can find the book on my blog if you want to see more).

    Anyway, I'm glad you shared this post! I love meeting fellow homeschool veterans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your story Debbie. Thank you so much for sharing it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor