Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review: The Harvest of Grace



I know I know-
there are cobwebs and dust on the ceiling fans.  I know, I know-
I need to get back to decluttering. 
I know, I know-
I need to peg more laundry up on the line;
but...
just one more chapter...
please?

   Don't you just love the books that just draw you in?  The ones where you feel like you're part of the story not just an invisible observer?  The Harvest of Grace was like that for me.  I felt like I was part of the family just looking on.

   Sylvia is the eldest in a string of daughters unbroken by sons born to her Old Order Amish parents.    They are dairy farmers; and, Silvia tends and nurtures the herd with diligence and confidence.  She's in line to inherit the farm; but, a moment of weakness with an old boyfriend causes her to flee temptation and leave home.  She moves far away and helps to revive a struggling dairy farm.

   Aaron Blank is a recovering alcoholic who returns from rehab to try to convince his parents to sell the very farm that Silvia is trying to revive and move to town.   Sparks fly as the two strong willed characters pursue opposite goals.  Throw in a few sparks between Aaron and his father, Michael, and you've got tension that mounts throughout the book.

   There is an array of characters that are deeply developed and who live in community.  These are characters who have been cental to the earlier books in the Ada House series.  The Harvest of Grace is the third in the Ada's House series.   It is terrific story as a stand alone; but, I'm tempted to go back and read the first two books- The Hope of Refuge and The Bridge of Peace.


   I reviewed the book Plain Wisdom by Cindy Woodsmall with Miriam Flaud recently also. 

   Five stars because I didn't want it to end.

Blogging for Books gave me this book in exchange for an honest review.
"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura