Friday, September 2, 2011

Review: Wise Alec Civilize This! Travel Game and Expansion Set




We sat down to play this for the first time late on a Sunday evening.  Oops!  Shouldn't have done that!  We were having so much fun, we didn't even notice the ticking and ticking and ticking.  It was well after eleven before anyone thought to look at the clock.  Yikes!  But we couldn't just stop.  We had to finish the game. 


Game Testers:
Matt, 20
Emily, 13
Michael, 11
Amy, 10
Mommy, um...never mind

We are a history loving family.  Just to make things a little easier for Amy, I played on a team with her.  A great help to me as well, but don't tell!  We all felt pretty confident starting out.  Then, the questions were asked, one by one.  We guessed the answers one by one.  We found we were on a level playing field most of the time because of the strong emphasis on Japanese, Indian, Aztec and Mayan history, something we'd never studied before.  We definitely were strongest with the Medieval period as I expected we would be.  That was our focus last year.  What I didn't expect was that so few of the questions were about European and United States history.  In fact, there were so many questions about Asian history, I looked at the box to see where it was made!  Canada in case you're wondering. 


Photobucket


Even before opening the package, I noticed that the box is sturdy and well-made.  The lid is attached to the box in the form of a wrap around cover that is held by a strong magnet.  That is a big plus for a game.  You know how pieces get lost when the box gets worn out. 

I also love that the creators of the game made a youtube video about how to play the game. 



I do have to say that I was disappointed that the dye smeared and scratched off the game cube as we were playing the game.  We also found a few misspelled words in the questions.  Hopefully, the company will get those problems fixed.  Even so, my kids and I have had fun with this game.  I like it because they can play together...yes, even though they are 20, 14, 12, and 10!


Civilize This! is made by Griddly Games.

$17.99

Click HERE to find a retailer near you or to order on-line.

If you like to allow your chilren to play games on-line, there are also games at http://griddlygames.com/ .


I received this game in exchange for an honest review from Griddly Games as a part of The Old Schoolhouse Review Crew.

2 comments:

  1. By the way, the three little kiddles have had birthdays. That's why the different ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the honest, thorough review of the game. That's interesting that there are so many Asian history questions.

    We've had a few of those times where we get so caught up in a game that we completely forget about the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura