Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: Stories Behind the Greatest Hits of Christmas, Ace Collins




I confess.  I was listening to Christmas music in October.  I've read of the origins of some of the older carols and hymns; but, this was the first book I've read about more contemporary Christmas songs. 
I was familiar with all of the songs.  The tunes jingled merrily through my mind as I was reading.  Beginning with the first song recorded with electric microphones, Oh Come All Ye Faithful, and proceeding through decades of popular titles including White Christmas, Here Comes Santa Claus, Jingle Bells and fourteen others, you will not only enjoy the details behind the songs, you also will enjoy the history surrounding them.
This book reads like a history of 20th century Christmas music. I really enjoyed learning the stories behind each of the popular songs. What I didn't expect was that I would get a feeling for what the musical climate was during the early part of the 20th century. Many of my favorites were written either just prior to, during or just after World War II. There was a real need for upbeat songs that would bring cheer and good feelings about being home for Christmas. I was also surprised to find that some of the best wintry snow songs were written during the heat of the summer in California. 
Christmas lovers, history lovers, and music lovers will all agree that this book enriches our appreciation of the times and the music itself.  I plan to read it again with my children, sing the songs, and maybe even look up some of the original versions on youtube.


Enjoy this book and have yourself a merry little Christmas!

Laura
Happy at Home
I received this book for free from Zondervan in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura