Saturday, May 23, 2015

REVIEW: Fear and Faith

Trillia Newbell has been through it. In fact, she's still in her journey. Fear and Faith: Finding the Peace Your Heart Craves is her gift to her Christian sisters who struggle with fear as well.

Thank you Sidedoor Communications and Moody Publishers for this review copy.
Women fear and worry about many things. I know I do. Trillia Newbell has found solace and strength to face some of the things that fill women with fear the most. As a working mom devoted to God, to her husband, and to her children, she shows women how to recognize the cause of the fears and how to combat the fears. It's all about replacing fear with faith in the One who is always faithful.

Some favorite quotes from the book:
  • "You and I have to fight to remember the faithfulness of our Father when we are faced with great fears of the future. Ask yourself, how has God been faithful?This year you can count on God to be faithful again." p 36
  • "Your fears tell you that you have to be strong. God tells you, "I will strengthen you." p 149
  • "I've learned that if all my fears were to come to pass, I would still have my Savior." p 151
This was one of the most helpful books that I've read this year.
I think this is a book I'll read again... with a highlighter!


Here's what the publisher has to say about Fear and Faith.

Are you ever afraid? Growing up, our greatest fears might have been the boogeyman hiding in the closet or the monster that lurked under the bed. As adults, though, our fears morph from childhood silliness into things that keep us up at night: worrying about an unknown future, replaying in our mind what others think of us, or plotting how we can keep up the superwoman act as we envision another day battling the to-do list.

“Fear is an emotion we can feel in a variety of ways; it can be paralyzing, controlling, and even motivating,” says Trillia Newbell, author of the new book, Fear and Faith (Moody Publishers, April 2015). “Unfortunately, fear is often a by-product of the sin in our heart. Fear has a way of whispering lies to our souls about who God is. We are given to fear, and we desire control, but the Lord has something better for us. The Lord has the better way—a way that will give us life and peace.”

Fear and Faith explores fears women often experience, such as fear of man, fear of the future, fear of other women, fear of tragedy, the fear of not measuring up, fear of physical appearance, and the fear of sexual intimacy. Newbell takes women to the Bible, showing them the true issues at the root of the particular fear, and shares how they can learn to trust and lean on the Lord to find the peace they crave. She also includes several stories from other women to help readers see that they’re not alone and encourage them that there is hope.

About Trillia Newbell

Trillia is the author of Fear and Faith: Finding the Peace Your Heart Craves (Moody, 2015) and United: Captured by God’s Vision for Diversity (Moody, 2014). Her writings on issues of faith, family, and diversity have been published in the Knoxville News-SentinelDesiring GodTrue Woman,Christianity Today, The Gospel Coalition, and more.  She has spoken at numerous conferences, churches, women’s retreats, colleges and seminaries, including True Woman, The Gospel Coalition Women’s conference, Southeastern Theological Seminary, and more. Trillia is currently the consultant on Women’s Initiatives for the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission for the Southern Baptist Convention.




"Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this product for free in exchange for an honest review.   I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, I have seen this book else where on the web. I think I would like it. I enjoyed the review.
    Thanks a lot.
    Many Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura for sharing this book review with us. It sounds like a good read. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your review, Laura. I truly appreciated your honest and detailed thoughts.

    Thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspiration. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review Laura. We all have feat at times. The important thing is to trust in the Lord! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking up with Literacy Musing Mondays. Be sure to check out your pin at https://www.pinterest.com/pin/249246160604354278/ . Like it and repin too!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I love it when y'all talk back!

I read all the comments I receive. I answer as many as I can.

Right now, I'm healing from breast cancer surgery on October 20th and dealing with the side effects of chemotherapy. Please understand if I don't answer. This is all new to me.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PRAYING FOR ME!!!
I treasure your prayers and your comments.

If you have a question, be sure I can reach you by email or subscribe to the comments.

Be blessed!
Laura