Sunday, July 21, 2024

Thrifty Things Lately ~ July 21, 2024



Welcome to another thrifty week at Harvest Lane Cottage. I am glad you've found me! Each week I will share my thrifty and frugal projects, ways of saving money, and my blessings from God. 

Here's my thrifty week:

  • I baked half a batch of chocolate chip cookies last week and half a batch this week. My husband was surprised with warm, fresh cookies twice. It stretched the ingredients. I've made these same cookies for over forty years. Stop it! Stop right now! I know you're calculating my age! Let's just say I'm Grammy to a wonderful little eleven month old grandbaby boy whom I love with all my heart. No cookies for him until Mommy says it's okay.
  • I mended two towels. I cut off the frayed edges and zigzagged around them with thread that was leftover from some given to me long ago. It was still on a wooden spool.  Although I bought like new towels at a garage sale a few months ago (luxury), I keep and mend the old ones, too. You never know when you're going to need them for something messy.
  • When we needed a quick take home lunch, my husband brought home Chinese, and we shared a meal. It was $8 for the two of us to eat. Pretty cheap for a good meal. I cannot make Chinese for that amount.
  • I'm listening to books on Everand. I pay a monthly fee of $11.99 for as many books as I want to listen to or read. It's my only subscription.
  • I borrowed books from the library this week.
  • I'm knitting a gift with leftover yarn that a friend gave me several months ago. I actually finished Friday morning!
  • I gave a friend some hand crocheted dishcloths for her birthday.
  • Fifty-four cents for a senior unsweet iced tea at McDonald's. They start at 55. Stop it! You're calculating my age, aren't you? LOL 
  • I bought a like new Polo brand oxford shirt for my husband at Goodwill. I looked it over well, and it was perfect... except that the size was mismarked! $5.99 for a shirt that was too small. I felt stupid for not realizing it was wrong. My daughter corrected my stinkin' thinkin'. It was a mistake. I'll either find someone to pass it on to or give it to another thrift store which I prefer.
  • I'm using shaving cream bought at a yard sale for a dollar. It hadn't been used.



It's been a good week. Next week will be a great week!
Be blessed and be thrifty!
Laura
Happy at Home
   

5 comments:

  1. Don't you just hate when you think you found something perfect and then it doesn't fit or is mis-marked?! UGH
    Looks like you have had a good week. I just looked at the 7 years as a cancer survivor. We have been online friends for a long time because I remember when you went through that and praying for you.
    Have a wonderful week, Laura! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice week. It is always nice to use what you have. I have done the same thing with mismarked sizing. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb in FL (formerly of Carthage)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Thrifty Week postings always inspire me. I have several e-books on my Kindle and physical books and I'm planning on not getting anymore books even if they are free.

    I crochet and so I have a huge stash of yarn that I have bought and some that was given to me. Its amazing how much yarn one obtains when your friends find out you crochet or knit. Laura I'm sure you've heard it before. "I have all this yarn that I don't use anymore. Would you like it." Of course I can't say no to free yarn!

    I had planned on buying sneakers so I can get back to exercise class again but I couldn't afford it. My friend bought me a brand new pair of Skeechers( I'm sure I spelled it wrong) that were on sale at J.C. Penneys yesterday.
    I made my daughter gluten after brownies from scratch instead of buying a box mix.
    That's about it for this thrifty week. Have a blessed rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been super blessed! Using what we have on hand is major

      Delete

Thanks for writing me back!

This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Laura Lane