Saturday, December 16, 2017

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #116


Welcome to another 
Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage!
Each week I share ways I've saved money, my thrifty and frugal projects, and my blessings from God. 

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage
I am so glad you dropped in for a visit today—or tonight!
Please say hello! I'm always looking for new blog friends!

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

Happy Christmas time everyone!

  Are you getting ready? I've gotten a good start on my shopping now. My list is short this year. I bought some things online, a few things locally, and my husband is going to get a few things for me. On a whim, my husband and I decided that we will open our house to friends on Christmas Eve afternoon. Just a little come and go thing. It will motivate me to clean and bake. ~smile~ I'm planning to keep it simple. I told my girls that they may invite whomever they wish. My Emily sent out a Facebook invitation to virtually everyone she knows! Our house is pretty small. We'll see what happens. It may be quite cozy!

  Well, enough for now—on to my blessings and a bit of our thrifty life.



~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
A Quote for You
"You see, darlin', the roots on a willow tree run deep, clear under the ground to the source of water. That's what keeps it alive even when everything around it is drying out. Faith works the same way. It runs way down deep through our souls to the source—to God—and keeps us going when things get hard." 
Kim Vogel Sawyer in Where Willows Grow 
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
Here's my thrifty week!
  • I bought twenty pounds of 80/20 ground chuck for $1.99/lb. That is an excellent price for our area.
  • Avocados $.42 each at Walmart
  • Cranberry Wassail with frozen cranberries that my dad gave me a few months ago. I substituted a sliced orange for the orange essential oil.
  • Recently, I bought wrapping paper at Hobby Lobby for half price. It's thick, sturdy, and lined. It's a big roll, too. At half price, it's comparable in cost to dollar store paper, but much higher quality. It was so nice, I went back for a second roll that was red with polka dots. I'll use the Christmas paper first, then use the polka dots if needed. I can use them all year round for gifts.
  • My husband, Lowell, cleared out a bunch of stuff in the garage. Thirty cubic feet of real estate investment!
  • Three cubic feet for me this week. Wonder what I mean? Read this, then go make an investment today! 
  • Avocados at Aldi for $.39 each. 
  • Bone in chicken breasts at Food 4 Less for $.79 a pound.
  • Chicken leg quarters ten pounds for $6.00 at Food 4 Less
  • Lowell contacted AAA a couple weeks ago to see if we could get the special for giving memberships to our kids. They just added them on for free instead! He also found out that we could get the vehicles towed 100 miles instead of 3 miles by paying about $30 more. We're so glad we did it!
  • We got a free tow for our son's truck with our AAA membership. The membership paid for itself already.
  • I crocheted a stack of dishcloths for a friend with yarn that was given to me. I used some other leftover yarn to crochet a long chain to tie them together. It made a cute stack. 
  • One Christmas Past
  • A sweet lady from church brought me some shampoo and conditioner that is supposed to help with hair growth. It's called Monat.
  • I gave my extra Christmas tree and ornaments to a friend. That was another six cubic feet of real estate investment.
  • I went Christmas shopping at thrift stores. It was a bit late in the season, so all I found was a little 25 cent cup for me that says PEACE.
  • Remember how I told you we were blessed with a dvd/vcr last week? Another friend asked if I'd found one yet. I told her yes. She offered me hers, too. I said yes. It's good to have a back up since I cannot buy another one. It'll be stored for future use. Yes, it takes up space, but it's not clutter since I can't replace it easily. 
  Let's do all we can to keep our peace and joy regardless of our circumstances or who we're with. I am going to spend some time over the next few days making a list and checking it twice. I already know who's been naughty or nice. ~wink~ I'll actually make several lists. We still have time to do this without losing our heads. God bless you each. If you have any advice for last minute preparations, please share them in the comments.

♥♥♥♥
That's my thrifty week.

What are you doing in your home this week?

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

ღLauraღ
...doing what I can with what I've got
where I am on a short shoestring budget!

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~




~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

29 comments:

  1. Quite a frugal week there lady! It sounds like you were given/found many blessings.
    I love the idea of the Christmas Eve open house - great success with that.
    Blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard telling how a gathering on that eve will go, but we'll enjoy it whether we have a few or many.
      Blessings to you, too, Cheryl.

      Delete
  2. What a nice Christmas picture of your family! So glad to hear that you are up and around and seem to be feeling better. I love the Hobby Lobby wrapping paper. I got red with polka dots too-- a couple years ago and I'm still using it. One roll lasts me a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Ann, the paper does last a good long time. I hope to have this roll last most of the year. I think we may move this year, so I don't want to add to my stash after Christmas. I'm satisfied with a 40% off coupon or a 50% sale. Enjoy your season, Laura

      Delete
  3. What a treat to see your beautiful family! Merry Christmas to you all!

    I am surprised at your great meat deals. The stores here think that all you would want to buy from Thanksgiving to New Years is holiday foods so we rarely see everyday items on sale.

    I have two kinds of candy and two of cookies to make next week and if the kids will ever tell me when they will be here I can sort out my menu. But, I pretty much have everything on hand so I am not stressing about it. Enjoy your week of prep work. Tiring but fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas Lana,
      I wonder if we have good chicken deals because there is a Tyson plant in town?
      I need to make cookies tomorrow. I've made a few, but they keep disappearing.
      I have a cookie exchange to attend Monday evening. Hope you get a nice visit
      with your loved ones.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  4. I will have to check out the shampoo, unfort.my hair grew back baby fine, bye bye thick hair...sigh...

    We open our home on Christmas and I just love your photos. smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what my hair will do. We're going to invite folks to drop in between 2 and 6 Christmas Eve. My sons aren't crazy about doing it, but my girls are excited.
      Happy Christmas my friend!
      Laura

      Delete
  5. This was a fun post to read. Made me tired. Bless you. And Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what's strange Paula? I couldn't think of hardly anything I'd done until I sat down at the computer! I'll be over for a visit soon.
      Laura

      Delete
  6. I love that your are opening your home on Christmas Eve! There are so many people that have no where to go. We have a birthday dinner for my dad on Christmas Eve and invite anyone and everyone to come celebrate with us. Some years it's just the immediate family and other years we have several show up. It's such fun!

    The Hobby Lobby paper is great. I'm going to go the week after Christmas to see if there is any I can grab for a decent price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful family picture!
    Wishing you and your family a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, I wish you a terrific, Jesus focused Christmas.

      Delete
  8. You had a great week. I hope the shampoo works for you. It will grow back though just takes time. We would have accepted the dvd/vcr player too- it pays to have backups! Great deal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vickie,
      Thank you for being such a terrific encourager.
      I have one more day at chemo center, then I get a break until January.
      Yay! This chemo doesn't seem to bother me like the stuff they gave
      me last summer. 2017 The summer of chemo and fall of surgery.
      2018 the winter of radiation. I'll finish all my chemo by August if all
      goes well.

      Happy happy Christmas my friend!
      Laura

      Delete
  9. What a great week you had!!! I've been scoping up some great deals around here too. Today we got pork loins for 99 cents a pound!!!! We've been busy making Chex mix and crockpot candy today for gifts for my husband's co-workers. If you are looking for an EXTREMELY easy and quick recipe I recommend the crockpot candy! It makes a large amount too! Great for gift giving or parties! Here is the link - http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2014/12/crockpot-candy-recipe.html

    Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got some awesome stuff going on at your place. I'm going to go check out your link. Thanks for dropping in and talking to me. I love that!
      God bless you and merry Christmas!
      Laura

      Delete
  10. I love getting Christmas gifts for my family and friends. Have a good Christmas Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very Merry Christmas for a Beautiful Family! God Bless you Laura and may you have the most blessed Christmas this year. A gentle hug across the miles. Karla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karla. You've been such an excellent and valued encourager this year.
      What would I do without you? You've been so faithful to pray, too. God bless you. Hug
      received and returned!
      I have one more day at chemo center, then I get a break until January.
      Yay! This chemo doesn't seem to bother me like the stuff they gave
      me last summer. 2017 The summer of chemo and fall of surgery.
      2018 the winter of radiation. I'll finish all my chemo by August if all
      goes well.

      Happy Christmas!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful family picture, my dear friend.
    Such love!!!
    And thank you for the reminder of the Gooseberry Patch wallpaper!
    Your Christmas Open House sounds fun.
    Blessings for a wonderful, cozy week of preparation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo.
      I hope you enjoy the wallpaper. I think they make fun designs.
      I have one more day at chemo center, then I get a break until January.
      Yay! This chemo doesn't seem to bother me like the stuff they gave
      me last summer. 2017 The summer of chemo and fall of surgery.
      2018 the winter of radiation. I'll finish all my chemo by August if all
      goes well.

      Happy happy Christmas my friend!
      Laura

      Delete
  13. 😍 Merry Christmas, Sister.

    Continued prayers!
    Love and hugs,
    Kellylynn in TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kellylynn!
      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
      Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

      Delete
    2. Enjoyed your frugal week post...
      Merry Christmas
      Mama Bear

      Delete
    3. Thank you Mama Bear. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  14. A wonderful thrifty week indeed Laura! I do love Hobby Lobby's wrapping paper. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor