Monday, July 22, 2024

A Little Randomness ~ 1996

This week's year is 1996! Here are some memories that I have of that year in list form.

Image by Harisankar Sahoo from Pixabay

  • Our son turned 5. At the time, we didn't have any other children, but he was praying for a sister.
  • We made the decision to homeschool kindergarten. After lots of research, I chose to read lots of books together, and I took a lots of hands on and experiential learning approach that year.
  • My husband was working for a company that had sent him to Branson, Missouri to work for four months. He lived in a condo there. 
  • We bought Silver Dollar City passes. Matthew and I would often visit, and we would go to the park.
  • My mother found out that her breast cancer had returned as bone cancer. This rocked my world like nothing before ever had. This began two heart wrenching years. The good is that both she and my step-dad got saved. He is still loving and serving Jesus. He was able to help me through my fight with breast cancer that I began in 2017. 
  • Beanie Babies were one of the hottest toys for Christmas as was Nintendo 64. We bought Matthew a Beanie Baby. We never did buy video games for the kids.
  • We bought our first computer and learned about dial up internet. I used to "Ask Jeeves" as I was learning to search.
  • The first Twister film was one of the top films of the year. We watched it. Living in tornado alley, it was scary!
It was an exciting time to be alive, full of hope, some fear, and lots of prayer. I miss those days of having our little family of three and teaching my little boy and learning a whole lot in the process!

God is good through the good times and the hard times.
Blessed be the name of the LORD JESUS!

What do YOU remember about 1996?
I can't wait to read your responses.

Laura


9 comments:

  1. Gosh, 1996. It was so long ago. We moved to Spokane in 1993 so I "think" that was the year that all of our kids were going to the school at our church and I returned to work full-time while they were at school. It worked well. I was off at 3:00 and they were never home by themselves.
    Our oldest turned 16 that year, middle was 13 and youngest was 8. It's hard to believe they were that young. I, too, would be happy to go back to those years. I miss my kids being home. Now they live all over the world.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy,
      My kids are grown, too. I'm happy that so far, they are all within an hour. Who knows what the future holds.
      Be blessed,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. In 1996 I was expecting our 2nd daughter and I had her in November. My oldest turned two so I had to little ones in diapers.
    Laura I totally remember Ask Jeeves and we had dial up internet. There were the ads for America Online and you could get the disks for America Online 3.0 or something like that. I had multiple subscriptions to crochet magazines such ad Hooked on Crochet, Annie's Crochet, Crochet World and Crochet! I still have a few issues from that time.
    I miss those days. I don't miss dialup internet though that sound of the phone and computer brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Regina has left a new comment on your post "A Little Randomness ~ 1996":

      In 1996 I was expecting our 2nd daughter and I had her in November. My oldest turned two so I had to little ones in diapers.
      Laura I totally remember Ask Jeeves and we had dial up internet. There were the ads for America Online and you could get the disks for America Online 3.0 or something like that. I had multiple subscriptions to crochet magazines such ad Hooked on Crochet, Annie's Crochet, Crochet World and Crochet! I still have a few issues from that time.
      I miss those days. I don't miss dialup internet though that sound of the phone and computer brings back memories.

      Unsubscribe from comment emails for this blog.



      Posted by Regina to Harvest Lane Cottage at Jul 23, 2024, 10:48 AM
      I remember that dial up sound. Yikes!
      Our computer was on a desk in our laundry room. I would iron shirts while waiting for pages to load!

      Delete
  3. Well, 1996 was a blessed year! I became a mother! Madison was born in November 1996. I too miss those days when we all were together in our own little world. Love this post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fabulous! 1996 was a life changing experience for you my dear!

      Delete
  4. In 1996 our youngest little girl was turning three towards the end of the year. Our eldest daughter was turning 14 at the end of the year, we had a six year old little girl and an eleven year old. Those were sure some precious times! Homeschooling was so fun with our four girls! I love art and we would do fun projects together, I remember even cooking a Japanese meal from one of our curriculum units. We lived in the country just like now and going outside together was so fun, the girls would have all kinds of adventures with their dollies. : )

    Oh Silver Dollar City! Yes ma'am! We loved going to that place! That was a hilight for our family! Every time we would visit Branson and go to the College of the Ozarks etc...Precious Moments in Carthage. We would want to move there!

    Have a sweet day! Blessings!
    ~Amelia My Forest Cathedral blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I accidentally deleted your comment when I tried to publish it using my phone. I apologize. This was my eresponse, "The years of littles are hard work, but they are also the sweetest!"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for writing me back!

This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Laura Lane