Saturday, August 3, 2024

Thrifty Things Lately ~ August 3, 2024

 


Welcome to another thrifty week at Harvest Lane Cottage. I am glad you've found me! Each week I will share my thrifty and frugal projects, ways of saving money, and my blessings from God. 

I love knitting gifts.


Here's my thrifty week:

  • We did our shopping at Sam's and bought thick pork loin chops, strawberries and blueberries on sale. We didn't buy all the flashy things that caught our eyes!
  • We ate a hotdog and got a lemonade at the snack bar for $1.50 each for lunch. That's $3 plus tax for lunch for two people!
  • Upon getting home, the six pork chops were divided into 3 freezer bags. 
  • I'm knit a pair of baby booties for a friend's baby shower using some yarn that I had left over from a sock project.
  • I found a wooden baby toy at the thrift store for a dollar. Grandbaby B came over to play, and he loved it! In fact, he loved it so much, it went home with him. I will figure out how to keep some toys at Grammy's house!
  • I've been reworking a pair of socks that I knit last summer. I knit them cuff down. I normally knit toe up. Well, I miscalculated how long to knit the foot on one sock. It was at least an inch longer than the other sock and way too long for my foot! A few weeks ago I pulled out the extra stitches, and this week I'm re-knitting it to the correct length. I'm on the toe now. 
  • I manicured my nails again using products that I bought last winter. Nothing out of pocket.
  • I made strawberry jam with the strawberries that we got on sale. I had jars, lids, rings, pectin, and sugar on hand. It made 9 half pints. We've been enjoying one jar. It didn't seal properly. Too bad, nah, it's yummy! 
  • My friend gave us eggs from her chickens.
  • We went out for lunch and saved half for supper.
  • I take my insulated water cup with me everywhere.
  • I met friends at McDonald's instead of the coffee shop. That saved me a lot of money on a drink! Senior drinks at McD's start at age 55.
  • My husband made fabulous pork chops with mushrooms using sale items.
Well, that's all that I can think of for now. Have a great week, and please share what you've been up to!

Laura










4 comments:

  1. Cute baby booties!! Es

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know McDonalds had a senior drink. Is it soda too or just coffee? I bought pork chops and a roasted chicken this week at Costco. I also divided up the chops and we deboned the chicken and have enough for 6 meals for only $4.99. It's such a great deal and tastes really good too.
    I love your little baby socks. They're so cute.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the senior drinks are sodas, teas, and coffees.
      You did great.
      Have a great week!
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Hi there, enjoyed reading what you have been up to and your wonderful knitting! I know you must be a blessing to many. : )

    We do that too...The other day we went to our favorite ecletic pizza restaurant for lunch, and ordered french bread and olive oil dipping sauce to go with the salad that went with the pizza lunch special. In that way we can take home almost if all half of our personal pizza for supper! It's great, and I don't have to cook! lol

    Blessings! ~Amelia My Forest Cathedral

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for writing me back!

This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Laura Lane