![]() |
| First project completed! Candy Corn Bag Project Bag |
Today, September 7, is my momma's birthday. She's been in Heaven for 27 years now. I still miss her very much. She taught me to sew when I was quite young. I learned by helping her. She used to make clothes for me and for herself. She also sewed many things for the home. She didn't even need a pattern for lots of things. I didn't inherit that from her. I did inherit a deep enjoyment of sewing. So much so, that I used the money I received for high school graduation to buy a Kenmore sewing machine that I used for many years. I couldn't imagine moving out of my mom's house and not having a sewing machine!
That old machine finally gave out after many years. I've replaced it twice since then. My current machine, a Singer One, has served me since 2012. I actually thought it was newer than that. I looked back and found the blog post sharing the purchase.
While sewing the candy corn bag this weekend, I spent most of the "sewing" time fighting with the machine. I took it to the repairman last winter due to issues with the tension. It wasn't much better when I got it back. I haven't sewn since I started working full-time at the clinic back in February. Now I remember why. It's just so frustrating!
What? The one activity that has always felt like I was born to do it—frustrating? How can that be? I'll tell you.
Sewing is frustrating when your machine skips stitches, has poor tension that cannot be fixed no matter what videos, the manual and even Chat GPT tell me. The computer part seems to be messed up, too. The last time I tried to use it, the zigzag wouldn't work. Now, I have to put the needle all the way to the right to be near the center.
So, here I am at the beginning of Sewing Through September with a malfunctioning machine. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do.
I know that I need to replace it. I need something that is going to last. I need something that I'm not going to need to replace. What that is going to be or what it's going to cost, I don't know. I want something with metal parts that can stitch straight and do zigzag. I don't need anything fancy just functional.
I finished the first project, my candy corn bag today. I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow since the machine is on the blink.
Any suggestions for a good machine that's going to last me many years?
Any suggestions for a sewing project that doesn't need a machine?
Help wanted.
~smile~
Be blessed,
Laura
Still determined to sew through September!
Related posts:
Sewing Challenge Month at Harvest Lane Cottage
Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage #151





No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for writing me back!
This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!
Laura Lane