Monday, May 12, 2008

Spicy Bean Soup

Spicy Bean Soup

2 lbs red beans
2 onions, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 green pepper, chopped
olive oil
2 cans Rotel
2 T salt or to taste
4 T chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
Saute onion, garlic. and green pepper in small amount of olive oil.
Add beans and enough water to cover 3-4 inches (more if you like a lot of broth). Do not add salt or tomatoes at this time. These ingredients will prevent the beans from softening.
Bring to a boil and simmer around 3 hours, or until the beans are soft. After the beans are soft enough for your taste, add the Rotel; I use the store brand. Add the chili powder and salt also to taste. Sometimes I'll add a little cumin or taco seasoning.
We like this with cornbread, or homemade bread and butter. You could also eat it with tortilla or corn chips.
I hope you enjoy it!

Laura
Happy at Home
~~~~~
May I suggest?
~~~~~


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipe at the HomeAcre Hop!
    My family likes spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to joke that I had Mexican babies, Sandra, because they liked spicy from the time they were small.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, Yum! We like a little spice in our life. lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soup sounds delicious! I do appreicate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy,
    Summer's not even here yet, and I'm looking forward to Fall!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor