Saturday, June 28, 2008

Something to Think About...Ripples on the River


Recently I went down to the river with my oldest son, Matthew. He's thinking about his future and trying to make some decisions about which path he wants to take this next year. I, on the other hand, am trying to come to terms with the fact that our time with all of our children at home will come to an end sooner than I wish. One of the songs that plays on my blog is "I Will Never be the Same Again." I don't like to think about the fact that our family will never be the same. There's such a desire in a momma's heart to have all her little chicks under her wings, to protect them from all life's foxes, possums, and dogs.

While Matthew and I were sitting there talking, he picked up a handful of rocks and began tossing them into the river, an age old pastime. I gazed at the ripples as they spread slowly outward, just as in a pond. As I watched, I saw them slowly move downstream carried along by the never ceasing current. I was struck by how for an instant he put something into the river. Yet, the ripples continued on, not only spreading out, but also moving on at the same time. I realized that my time to invest myself fully in my son was but a small part of his life. I made ripples that will continue; but, he'll be moving on soon. Those ripples will continue and will touch others as well.

"Lord, I pray that the good, true, Christ-like things that I've invested in my son will continue and stay in his mind, heart, and spirit. I pray that the things I've done wrong, the gaps I've left in his education, the times when I've made wrong decisions, the times when I've lost it, will all be covered in the Blood of Jesus; and, You Lord will make it all right. Thank you, Jesus."

Friends, I do hope you don't mind a prayer or two on my blog. You see, I do believe that God reads blogs. I do believe we talk about praying, and we need to be praying.

So, today I choose to toss a rock in and make a splash in my children's lives and let God handle the rest. This blog is a bit like that. I toss my posts out and hopefully make a little splash in your lives...a splash of hope, a splash of encouragement, a splash of kindness, a splash of Christ's love.

God bless you!

Laura
Splashing in the Grace of God



You might enjoy:



5 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    I'm really enjoying your site. I have nominated you for a creative blog award and I hope you will accept. Rules are posted on my blog...lifeonhackberryroad.blogspot.com

    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have been commanded to pray unceasingly Laura, and so I have a runniing dialogue going with God at all times in my brain. Helps to keep the adversary out as well! No man is safe for an hour or a day without prayer. Just my thoughts. Share away. I don't mind at all! Watching one of your fledglings fly out of the next is one of the hardest things to watch and endure as a mother, but knowing that you gave them enough of a grounding that they can do it successfully is a great blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just hopped over here from Miranda's blog. Congrats on being nominated for the award! You have a lovely blog here. I like this story...especially the idea of God reading blogs! Really, I believe that He has a sense of humor and enjoys the little, fun things we do.
    My oldest 'left the nest' earlier this year, but makes it a point to see us at least once a week. You are right...our influence is only part of those ripples in their lives. But oh, such a big part! I'm sure your son will always keep the values you taught him. He sounds like a great kid! (I'm sure you agree, it would be nice to live in a big complex where all the homes belong to your kids and you only have to walk a few steps to visit. Alas, life ain't like that, is it?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Laura, I know what you mean about wanting to keep our children under our wings but you are right about the rocks and the ripples. I find great comfort in the fact that God is in charge and He will be there for them as well and He will cover and fill in all our mistakes and gaps. Thank you for sharing this at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings to you this day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote this post some time ago, Terri. I'm seeing ripples I like and ripples I don't like. I will keep praying. God is good and faithful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor