Sunday, August 10, 2014

A Thrifty Week at Harvest Lane Cottage #26

Penny
It's been a little while since I've written A Thrifty Week.  That little pound puppy I got back in the last installment has taken quite a bit of my free time!  Since then, I realized Lucy didn't fit her.  I named her Penny instead.  She's the color of a penny.

I've scored some great bargains at the thrift shop and yard sales this summer.  What I have not done is make jam and jelly like I usually do each summer.  We especially like Harvest Peach.  I do hope I get another chance to find a good deal on some kind of fruit before summer's over.

~ I received a new book in the mail to review for Bethany House.  It's called $10 Great Dates.  As a book reviewer, it was free to me in exchange for a review.

~ I signed up to review a movie called Holy Ghost.   

~ I took a box and a bag of things to the Salvation Army.  I also threw out two bags of stuff that I found while decluttering.  How is that thrifty?  I bought myself about three cubic feet of real estate for the price of some time and decisions!  Just think how much houses cost per square foot!

~ We stopped by a little thrift shop in a nearby town and bought two shirts and a pair of sunglasses for $1.50.

~ We borrowed hundreds of dollars worth of books from the library for free.

~ Family movie night at church.  It was Heaven is for Real. The movie was free.  All five of us ate hot dogs, nachos, and popcorn with M & Ms  for about $15.  Not bad for a night on the town with the family.  Yes, we could have been more frugal, but it's our family's big outing each month.

Well, that's all I can think of.  Yes.  It's a very very very short list.  I hope to get back to sharing each week and recording my frugal feats as I go.  It's great inspiration to be busy about being thrifty.

What have you done this week?  What are your plans for next week?  I'd love to have you "talk back".  I won't tell your momma, I promise!

Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

14 comments:

  1. I am always happy to see your posts! I have had few peaches this year as the prices were just too high. I did drive out to the Circle E market east of town and found some delicious cucumbers, corn, tomatoes, and onions. Our little garden looks green and healthy, full of yellow blooms however it is not producing any vegetables. I have 5 cucumber plants that have only given me one cucumber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    It sounds pretty frugal to me. Maybe, I need a good teacher. Are you free...lol. My grands had a dog name penny...and I think she was the same color as your little cutie. I saw that movie Heaven is Real...it was a good movie. I rented from Redbox...it would have been better if I could have seen it at church. By the way I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award. And you can find out more about it at http://www.thedecoratoraholic.com/2014/08/sunshine-blogger-award.html. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trish, It seems like I'm never free anymore. Too too busy. This is a good post to read for ideas.
    Forty Ways to Use It Up, Wear It Out, Make It Do, or Do Without

    Thank you for the nomination. I'll go and read about it.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penny is the perfect name for your sweet little pup. Thrifting is one of my favorite things to do, and just about the only thing I spend money on outside of groceries. I hardly buy anything retail any more. Thanks for stopping by and leaving the nice comment on my Emma's Quilt post. I left a reply there, but in case you don't see it I'm thrilled that you pinned the quilt. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same way, Nancy. I would add in few school supplies here and there. We buy nearly everything second hand. One modest income and three kids = the need to be very thrifty and often to simply do without.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate buying "second hand" stuff - and God provides so well! He has provided jeans for my guys-Levis and Carharts for $2 each and many more items.... I love it. :) I am needing to do more harvest in the garden- harvested herbs over the weekend and need to do more. We started school this week, so busy busy... plus some sick kids... busy week, but God is good and is providing. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gentle Joy,
    I've got the Precious Moments collectors' event this weekend. I won't be starting school for another week or two. I'm trying to fit in some planning around the event.
    Second hand is a way of life for our family. I think it's so ingrained, we'd still do it even if our ship ever came in. ~smile~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or your puppy is sweet. I like Penny and Lucy. We have a neighbor dog named Lucy. Sounds like you've had a great summer. I am trying to review again. I sure hope I can get that copy before it's all gone. I've contacted the houses and haven't heard back from any. I am anxious! I enjoyed reading your fun post! Have a great day.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I especially like the thought of clearing real-estate space, never thought of it like that! Thanks for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Jes, it was like a lightbulb went on a few days ago. I'm going to declutter with a new attitude! I'm just trying to decide if I want to have a yard sale. They're a lot of work, but when money's tight, every nickle counts.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laura, you little Penny is precious! She is just so cute.

    I haven't been thrifting lately. I have made myself stay away.

    Thanks so much for linking up to WYWW! I hope to see you again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Nikki! I've not done much thrifting lately. Too busy with working.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor