Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Simple Devotion...Philippians 4:4-8


Image Copyright 2013 Amy Lane Photography
 “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”
Philippians 4:8

Philippians 4 has a treasure trove of verses that I have clung to during difficult times. I really needed this reminder to go back and read and think about these verses again. I heard Thelma Wells speak about verse 6 a few years ago. She used the version that says "Be anxious for nothing...", only she very adamantly and enthusiastically pronounced it...

"Be anxious for NO THING..."
Good point, eh?
The part of the chapter that really stands out to me states in NIV,
"4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Gee, how would my life change if I really rejoiced ALWAYS?
5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
This gal definitely needs to learn to be more gentle.
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
Talk about life changing! I need to not only have this memorized, but internalized. 
7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
I have been down and lacking peace all week. Now I remember where to find it. 
Bless God for bringing me this encouragement just when I needed it. May God bless you, dear Reader, as you seek for Him with your whole heart.

Bless you!
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage
Happy at Home

~~~~~
~~~~~


8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these verses. I think I will read Philippians again tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing at the Growing in Grace Link Up! These are very true words that I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad, Nicole. That passage has ministered to me many many times.



    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite scriptures! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jann,
    It never fails to minister to me.
    See you over at your blog in a few minutes.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post, Jann! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing on The HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you again today :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn,
    I'll be there!
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor