Monday, September 23, 2013

September and October: Busy Days and Holiday Prep


These cool days of fall are the perfect time to prepare for the busy holiday season coming in November and December.  In an ideal world and when we're not recovering from a tornado, these are some of the ways I like to prepare for the busy days of November and December:

Prepare double batches of soups and casseroles.  I do this on normal evenings as I'm preparing dinner.  It's easy to put the extra in the freezer for a busy day meal.  Just be sure to label it.  I've had a few surprises over the years.  Oh my, did I say that aloud?  ~smile~

I'll be sharing favorite soup recipes over the next few weeks to help you.  For now, I think you'll find some lovely soups and stews on this list from my blog:

An Autumn Mix: Warming Up with Soups and Stews... A List of Favorites


Begin now to prepare cookies for your family often.  I bake a dozen for the family to enjoy now and freeze the rest for busy November and December days.  I often go ahead and shape the dough into balls for easy thawing and baking right on the cookie sheet.  This is a huge help when unexpected guests pop in during the holidays or you find that you need a treat to take to a gathering.

Now's the time to gather ideas and make your lists.  Look at all the ideas you've come up with over the last few months.  Start making lists.  Think about what you'd like the next few months to look like and start breaking it all down.

Well, I've given you something to think about.  Go, think, scribble a few thoughts down, and try some of my soups.  Have a terrific week!

Laura
Happy at Home
~~~~~
May I suggest?

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for your reminder soup season is upon us! I'm looking forward to trying some of your recipes. So glad I found you on the Better Mom link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely some great ideas, thank you. I've never thought about cookies in advance...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for talking back, Lisa.

    I've found cookies work great as long as I get as much air out of the container as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Candace,
    Tonight will be taco salad. I've got a couple of nights off cooking, but Thursday will probably be a soup night for us.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. It truly is so smart to make an extra batch of whatever to pop in the freezer. I love getting a little reminder about doing that. Even with just the two of us at home now, I still like to have things I can pull out of the freezer for a busy day or when the children & grands stop over. I've already been baking batches of sweet breads -- one for us and a couple for the freezer means I have some perfect little neighbor gifts to start handing out -- love doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing Laura! You have a very sweet blog! Blessings, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be cooking up pots of soup to put in the freezer - love cooking this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do, too, Linda. I'm going to try making split pea this week. It's a new recipe.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do, too, Linda. I'm going to try making split pea this week. It's a new recipe.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm here with a new follow from the Backyard Farming Connection Great idea to freeze extra soup. My freezer is always packed with ingredients, but no actual FOOD! :-)
    You can check out my blogs if you like at www.greeneggsandgoats.com and www.socializedhomeschoolers.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does get to be so hectic this time of year...thanks for the great tips and for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa,
    I find if I don't make some preparations by the third week of October, things get crazy for me.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Heather,
    I know what you mean. If we make it into "food", I think we'll have less stress over the next couple of months. Coming for a visit. Thanks for the follow.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Theresa, you're very kind. I just found Joyous Notions and am enjoying it.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're a smart cookie, Carol. I have a son out on his own. I tell him to go ahead and cook and package leftovers as freezer meals.

    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Laura what a great post. This post is exactly what my linky is about! I love all your ideas and links! Thanks for sharing. Feel free to re-link on the next linky. I'm doing things a little different the next few weeks. Oh BTW thanks for coming back! I'll be around to visit and fill you in on details. Have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking. The new link starts tomorrow afternoon. If you post any Pumpkin post photo or recipe you'll be entered in a giveaway. All fall posts are welcome. Come back and join the party!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Lynn,
    I apologize for missing this comment. I hope you have a wonderful week.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    Blessings to you from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,

    Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jann,
    I'm listening to Christmas music on Pandora as we speak. I love Jim Brickman piano Christmas music.

    Blessings to you from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ,

    Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor