Monday, December 7, 2015

Little House Thoughts... Tender Hearts ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder

"Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time."
 ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder

Some things just take me back in my mind to the days of my youth...

Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, and The Bishop's Wife all make me think of my grandparents. I grew up in the '70's, but something about those movies makes me think of them.

No one sings Christmas like Bing Crosby, but Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, and Frank Sinatra also remind me of those growing up Christmases. Nothing connects me to my growing up years like music. I think it's because my mama loved music so much. We listened to the radio, played 8 track tapes, and sang with each other at home and in the car. Music connected us. Jesus, will you please tell my mama that I miss her and I love her? Thank you. 

Listening to Christmas music and Santa flight reports reminds me of a Scary Christmas Memory. I hope your Christmas time is merry and bright!

God bless us every one!
Laura

11 comments:

  1. I love the old Christmas movies and the Christmas music too.. Such a fun time of year.. Hope you and your family have a blessed and Merry Christmas.
    I miss my dad too. The holidays seem to really bring the memories of them, doesn't it?hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the cozy feel of a Little House Christmas -- especially their spirit of gratitude for the smallest blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching little house on the prairie. :)

    I have a question to ask you, so could you please email me at marysoldfashionedblog@gmail.com

    Thank you so much!
    Love,
    Mary
    marysblogallthingsoldfashioned.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have memories of watching the old black and white movies at Christmas time....It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street etc AND yes, I so agree, nobody sings Christmas songs like Bing Crosby. Just visiting your lovely blog via Stephanie', The Enchanted Rose. Have yourself a merry little Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you dropped in and commented Kim. I see that you have a blog. I'll be over in a few minutes to say hello.
    Blessings to you, do come again!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Judy. I hope you enjoy your Christmas time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the memories of Christmas's past and I hope I have created the same memories for my children. I have just started to watch some Christmas movies on Netflix and they have plenty to keep me going for some time!!

    Finding joy (Jo)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love any old Christmas movie and Miracle on 34th Street was one of my favorites! And of course National Lampoon Christmas Vacation still makes me laugh even after the millionth time I've seen it. ;)
    Enjoy your day!
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Amy,
    I love old Christmas movies, too. I remember vaguely liking the National Lampoon Christmas when I was young. Do you remember if it was clean? I know some of Chevy Chase's movies were not.
    Blessings,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up in 80's and 90's. But I love all those movies above. Nothing like, "It's a Wonderful Life"! What a beautiful quote above. Nothing like Little House on the Prairie and Laura Ingalls Wilder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your precious Christmas childhood memories.

    I grew up in a house with a love of music too. Every night we would sit in the living room, listening to our Mitch Miller Christmas album with just the Christmas tree lights on, enjoying our time as a family.

    Indeed music is a trigger for such wonderful memories.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor