I do enjoy many of the old hymns. Truth and strength combine with a dignity missing in many of the new songs. Please enjoy this, one of my favorites, sung by Sisters.
It is Well With My Soul
The song was written in 1873 by Horatio G. Spafford.* It is now in the public domain. The beautiful, inspiring, peace inspiring lyrics were written after all of his four daughters had drowned in a sea collision. You can read more at Share Faith.
- When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,When sorrows like sea billows roll;Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,It is well, it is well with my soul.
- Refrain:It is well with my soul,It is well, it is well with my soul.
- Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,Let this blest assurance control,That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
- My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—My sin, not in part but the whole,Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
- For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:If Jordan above me shall roll,No pang shall be mine, for in death as in lifeThou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
- But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,The sky, not the grave, is our goal;Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!
- And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,Even so, it is well with my soul.