Thursday, December 15, 2016

Harvest Lane Cottage Christmas Decorating ~ Do's and Don'ts



Dear Readers,
I was recently asked about my Christmas decorating style. We have a humble home, but Christmas is the perfect time make our home festive. I have a do with whatcha got attitude about decorating, but I enjoy watching for treasures at yard sales and in thrift shops throughout the year. I also enjoy making things. Although this may be a bit late, I wanted to share how I add Christmas cheer to our home.


  • My Christmas decorating style includes many handmade items. I think that handmade makes things cozier. I dream of Christmas quilts for every bed. I enjoy making Christmas ornaments for my four children and for friends.
  • Books! We have lots and lots of Christmas books. All the festive colors brighten things up quite a bit.
  • Candles. There's just something about candlelight that makes things cozy.
  • I just love rich red poinsettias.
  • Snowmen and snowflakes cover my tree and are scattered around the house.
  • I have lots of yearly ornaments from a lifetime with my husband and children.
  • Deep reds and dark greens
  • Music—instrumental (like Jim Brickman) or Bing Crosby style Christmas music are my favorites. Christmas music plays in my home from Thanksgiving Eve through New Year's Day... sometimes even earlier. Yes. Playing music is decorating for our ears!

Once upon a time, I used bright Christmas red and green. It was all about Santa Claus. That changed a few years ago when all my decorations were in storage at Christmas time. Now I like deeper reds and greens, poinsettias, snowmen, and snowflakes. I sense I may be making more changes soon, but I'm not sure what they'll be yet.

You're not supposed to notice the mess. Real life happens here. 

Decorating Do's and Don'ts

Do:
  • Focus on the truth of Christmas—Jesus as Savior of the world. Emmanuel. God with us.
  • Forget about the trends! Do what you and your family like. Old-fashioned? Who's to say? If you build your decor around what you like, it's not out-of-date until you say it is.
  • Fun. Add a little whimsical to your decor. If you like snowmen, use them. If you like candy and sugar plums, use them. If you like Santas, use them. If you like angels, use them. Use whatever brings you joy when you see it.

Don't:
  • Forget to enjoy decorating. It's a pleasure not just a job. Put on the music, sip the cider or eggnog, and have fun.
  • Do it all yourself. Get your family or friends involved.
  • Do it the same every year. Using your decorations in different places and in different ways keeps things fresh.



Happy Christmas time everyone!

29 comments:

  1. "Playing music is decorating for our ears." I LOVE that, sweet friend. Oh, how I enjoy the Christmas music and songs.

    Love post, dear one, and gorgeous Christmas tree. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie dear. I'll be over for a visit in just a bit.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Love it... now I know we get along so well, smiles...have a beautiful day friend...(-10* and snowing here in western NY).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I hope you have snow to make up for the dreadful temperature!
      Christmas hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  3. Your home looks pretty and comfortable and welcoming. I'm glad you shared your photos. 🎄🏡☃️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Anne! I'll be over for a visit in a few minutes.
      Happy Christmas,
      Laura

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas! You home is lovely. Hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, your tree is beautiful!! Everything looks so homey and cozy....looks like I could just walk right in and sit down and share a cup of hot cocoa with you! Sending you love and hugs during this beautiful Christmas season, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! You would be most welcome to share a cup of homemade cocoa with me. Actually, this photo was taken last year, but this year the tree looks much the same. We always decorate with the yearly ornaments we've given since the eighties! Oh my, now everyone will know how old I am. Oh well. Crowned with silver.
      Hugs,
      Laura

      Delete
  7. Laura, your home looks so pretty.. The Christmas tree is beautiful.
    I agree, whatever you like, that is how you should decorate.. I love red!![of course, who doesn't know that??? lol]..So Christmas is the perfect time to add more reds/greens.
    Remembering what Christmas is.. is the true meaning of Christmas. thank you for a wonderful post.
    HOpe you and your family have a blessed Christmas..
    ps I am making ornaments today.. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Judy, I wish I could join you. I enjoy making ornaments. I baked cookies this morning, went to a cookie exchange this afternoon, and attended a wedding tonight! Busy!

      Delete
  8. What a truly fabulous post! So thought out and wonderful to share. You brought out many truths that we could all take to heart. And your just in time to link at Count Down To Christmas. The linky is up and there is a surprise! Don't miss this week. Be sure and leave a comment too. Not telling you why. You gotta come over and see. HeHe.
    Merry Christmas.
    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be right over Lynn. Sorry I haven't been visiting blogs much the last couple weeks. We've had more running than I like! Happy Christmas!

      Delete
  9. Laura, your home looks so beautiful, warm and welcoming! I could just sit and stare at your beautiful tree for hours. :) I did not put up the big tree this year because I knew that our Doofy cat would destroy it. My hubby put up our small fiber optic tree and Doofy tried to eat that too. He is a one cat wrecking crew! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried tying his legs together? Tee hee! My cat has never been interested in our tree. I'm not sure why.
      Happy Christmas!
      Laura

      Delete
  10. It all looks very pretty. We don't decorate anymore here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Afternoon Laura, please don't ever apologise for your home being humble, because it is full of grace and style. I would much rather visit a home where I could relax and enjoy a cup of coffee than visit a home which I could never be sure where to place my coffee cup.
    I too love decorating with red and green and I love listening to music whilst I decorate.
    .... and your Christmas tree is beautiful. I have really enjoyed my visit, so I have become a new follower.
    Have a wonderful Christmas.
    Best wishes from England.
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Daphne, thank you. You are so gracious. I am honored. Happy Christmas!
      I'm coming for a visit in just a bit. Be blessed!
      Laura

      Delete
  12. Merry Christmas Laura,

    I'm behind on the Christmas décor this year ... well, not really - I generally do not put up my Christmas décor until I've finished my homemade gifts sooo, in reality I'm behind schedule in completing my homemade gifts. But I'm steadily working on them.
    Your Christmas tree is beautiful.
    We too leave our Christmas décor up until the New Year. It is our tradition to "bring the attitude of Christmas giving into each New Year".

    Wishing you and yours a very Happy Christmas and Blessed New Year -
    Mrs.B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that tradition "bring the attitude of Christmas giving into each New Year"!
      Enjoy your gift making and decorating. I remind myself that my momma never decorated or baked until 2 weeks before Christmas. How much shopping she did early, when I was little. I will never know.

      Enjoy your season,
      Laura

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for visiting my blog today, and it is a pleasure to have a friend of my friend Linda come by. Please do so any time. I wish you a Merry Christmas and be blessed because of our Savior's birth. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Linda, it was my pleasure to visit your blog. I invite you to come and visit me, too.

      Blessings,
      Laura
      http://harvestlanecottage.com

      Delete
  14. Here from Our Holiday Journey...:)
    Every thing looks so nice here. I love seeing how people decorate for Christmas...no right or wrong..just doing what we love to do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right BJ. I used to try to keep up with the Joneses years ago, but then realized I just need to do things my own way for my own family.
      Hugs to you for Christmas!
      Laura

      Delete
  15. Dear Laura, Thank you for your lovely blog post. It was all the more special to see how pretty and cozy your home is! I love it when the house is quiet, just before bed and I sit on the lounge and just look at the soft light in the living room. I know at that moment how blessed I am to have a home, to have shelter and a family and a place to live. It's so nice to read that you are well enough to be enjoying some of the Christmas activities. I praise God for his healing touch on your life. Warm Regards, Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor