Monday, July 30, 2018

Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage #132

Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage!

~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
Dear Readers,

  The challenge to save money is going into full swing now. We've had a $400 + electricity bill and a car repair bill attack our shoestring budget. I think I'll go back over some of my thrifty posts and remind myself of the ways the LORD has provided in lean times and how I've used it up, worn it out, made it do, and done without in the past. It's good to remind ourselves and our children of how God has provided.
 God bless!
 Laura
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~
Here's how my family has been thrifty lately.



  • I bought one big container of Spring Mix lettuce for $4 at Aldi on Monday. We ate salad every day all week. 
  • Popcorn for snacks
  • We were given some Nutrigrain bars. They're helping fill tummies between meals and making quick breakfasts.
  • We were given a whole bunch of eggs. I lost count of how many. We've eaten them for breakfast and boiled them for snacks and put them on salads.
  • Remember the $3 that my husband spent on wrapping supplies at the yard sale? Here's the first batch of things in the box. These are cellophane that has not been opened. 
  • I'm making some interesting meals from on-hand items.
  • My Emily removed a broken belt attachment from her dress. It saved the dress at no cost. 
Before

After
 
  • My Amy was given a gift card. Since she doesn't drink coffee, she decided to use it for a giveaway on her blog.

My Amy's giveaway ends 8/22/18.

What have you done in your home this week?
~~~~~
♥♥♥
May you make the best of what you've got however much or little! 
 When we are faithful in little, God sees it.

ღLauraღ
...doing what I can with what I've got
where I am on a shoestring budget!
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~


Thank you all for writing to me. I read every comment.

Blogger is currently having issues with notifying bloggers of comments by email.  It is therefore difficult to respond.  

I will respond on the blog as I have time. You may subscribe to comments to see when I or others respond.
  
God bless you all!
 Laura
~~~~~
♥♥♥
~~~~~

15 comments:

  1. Whistling--a $400 light bill? We are on the budget plan here it stays at $153---still expensive. Hope you have a lovely week--regardless of the hits on the budget. Keeping you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is usually closer to $150. We knew it would be high, BUT!
      Fortunately, it's cooled off slightly. We are trying not to run the ac in the main part of the house.
      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
  2. Yikes! on that $400 power bill. Ours was $255 and I was freaking out and bumping the temperature up in the house. (that didn't last long, though...lol) We get free eggs from my dad, which we really enjoy. I hope you are feeling stronger and stronger each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. It's unreal, isn't it? We've never had one this high, and Lowell wouldn't even let me see how high it really is. Turning off ac in main part of house as long as we can stand it. I keep the bedroom cool so that I can escape the heat.

      Delete
  3. Good morning
    I buy those big boxes of Aldi spring mix, they almost seem never ending as there is so much lettuce in them,
    That roll wrap is really pretty.
    I’ve planned our meals for the week and that should keep me out of the grocery stores for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these thrifty posts Laura.
    Our thriftiness for food included making a meals from rice we got from church that someone put out for free.
    We got squash from a friends garden so I made sauted squash to go with chicken we got on sale.
    Instead of buying the packaged lettuce shreds we usually buy for tacos and sandwiches, I bought a head of lettuce and chopped it up myself. Much cheaper than buying those packages and the lettuce lasts longer.

    I bought a gallon of ice cream from Safeway that originally cost $6.99(yikes!) but with the store sale price, the manufacturer coupon and the Just4U discount I only paid $3.49.

    Instead of buying books I get books from Christian companies that offer bloggers free books for review and they are mine to keep.

    We were given another zucchini from my friend's garden Saturday(I froze the extra squash from the first one she gave me) so I need to figure out what to do with it.

    My friend gave me a lovely three ring binder she no longer needed so I will use it for my crochet journal pages that I also got for free.

    There's so much more I need to do to be more thrifty and save money. It's just a matter of putting forth the effort and making up my mind to actually do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Laura, I feel you with strength and with the spirit to face the difficulties that are presented to you. You are very strong, it shows at the moment, and I keep talking with Jesus about your problems and He listens to me ... I send you a lot of love.
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing to get on the computer today and see a new posting from you. I'm so glad you are getting stronger everyday and your body is healing from the cancer...you are an inspiration to me in so many ways. Have a wonderful day Laura, and remember, take a little time every day to do absolutely nothing...it does a body good!~ A gentle hug across the miles...Karla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello dear! I am sorry about that big hit in the budget. I am doing my best to not waste any food we have. I am afraid I am no more thrifty than that with feeling not so hot. Now my Jack is not well with some crud. Oh well! God is good and faithful and loves us. Hoping to be back in church Sunday. We have missed all but one Sunday this month. Father John came over with his dear wife and prayed over and anointed us both last week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a nifty thrifter indeed. I love popcorn for snacks. Hope the Lord sends lots of gifts your way as you recover from that light bill!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those big summer utility bills definitely hurt! However, I love to read how you make the most of what you have. Hope you are continuing to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet Laura! It feels like forever since I've been to visit your blog and what a joy it is to always read of your upbeat attitude in the midst of difficult circumstances! Truly the Lord will provide,HE always has a way of doing so each and every time! I will certainly be praying that the Lord will undertake in your situation, you are certainly being very thrifty and careful with all the Lord has blessed you with! You and your precious family continue to be in our prayers! And we need to have that cup of tea talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sucks to have such a high bill. I'm crossing my fingers that ours won't be anywhere near that. Check the insulation in the attic. Ours is deep and keeps our bills down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love your thrifty posts! You inspire me to keep being frugal. Hope you are feeling better and stronger every day. God be with you. Prayers from UT!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor