Monday, November 5, 2018

Sunday Supper ~ Taco Soup ~ Apple Crisp


Hey y'all!

Thank you so very much for praying for me. I'm recovering well from my last surgery. All that's left of this cancer journey is recovering from treatments, healing, appointments, tests, and rebuilding my health. Perhaps this is where the real work begins. ~smile~

One of the things I love about Sundays is that my adult children join us for dinner most weeks. We can't all make it each week, but we enjoy the time we have together with those who can make it.

This week we had taco soup with corn chips for dinner and apple crisp with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. I'll put the recipes below for my kids and for you!



Taco Soup

This is a variation of a recipe I printed off, way back in 2005, from the internet. I don't know where I found it originally.  I'm printing it with my changes.

1 or 2 lbs of 80/20 ground beef, browned and drained (We like 2.)
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 can corn, undrained
1 can black beans, undrained
2 cans kidney beans, undrained
1 envelope Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1 envelope dry taco seasoning  (We prefer Old El Paso.)
1 small tomato sauce (optional)

Put it all in a slow cooker. Cook on low 4-6 hours. 
We serve this with corn chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream.

Apple Goody / Apple Crisp
Original recipe from Evie Funke. I lived with her and her husband for a few months when I was in college.
I've recorded this with my changes.

Mix together:
5 cups apples, chopped
1 cup sugar 
1 T flour
1 t cinnamon
Place in a sprayed 13 x 9 pan.

Topping:
(This is the amount I make. It is double the original recipe.) 
Mix together until crumbly: 
1 1/2 c rolled oats
1 1/2 c flour
1 1/2 c brown sugar
   2/3 c melted butter
   1/2  t baking soda
   1/2 t  baking powder

Bake 30-40 minutes until golden.


Be blessed!

Laura


P.S. My apron was made by my friend Sarah at Lilacs and Springtime
She has some really nice things in her Etsy shop.





Over the Moon
Homemaker Party   

14 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, what a sweet picture of you proudly wearing your pretty apron :) and so lovely to see you looking so happy and healthy too. Your recipes sound absolutely scrumptious. Thank you for sharing. Blessings to you ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,

    You look beautiful in your apron! You truly blessed my heart. : )

    Thank you for sharing these recipes! The taco soup sounds delicious. I hope to make a batch soon, as I love trying new soup recipes.

    Thank you for sharing my link too!

    May you have a blessed day!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Lovely friend!
    So nice seeing you here today!
    I am so happy you are on the next path in your journey, and I continue to pray for you as you heal.
    Thank you for the recipes.
    Have a cozy afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photo put a big smile on my face. You look so happy and well!
    I made apple crisp almost identically to yours and it is good. I remember making it years ago for my son and several other college students and they were thrilled with it, and I was happy because I had used some very sad looking apples.
    You keep doing what your doing, I am so tickled to see you looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to see you smiling and on the mend. How wonderful to have the kids home on Sundays and that sounds like a wonderful Fall meal.

    I took all the ingredients to make an apple pie to the lakehouse and then arrived and remembered that there are no pie pans or dishes there. So I still need to make that pie. I have been thinking that a pie with the apple crisp topping would be good and the best of both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are on the total healing part of your journey! Ive bookmarked your page so I can make the taco soup next week. I like your apron Im about to start on one that doesn't hang at the neck like all of mine do, I think it will be more comfortable to wear all day. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look happy and healthier thank the good Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear friend, how happy I am to see you so well. God is merciful and will take you to the end of this test and your health will be clean.
    I would love for you to see one of my blogs called "the friendly side of life", for sure you will like it. I leave you in link.

    elladoamabledelavida.blogspot.com

    A lot of love for you and yours
    Dolores

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Laura; love the apron! Good to see a pic of you too. I love taco soup and my recipe is similar. I haven't made it in a long time... it may be time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet Laura, what a beautiful picture of you! Your smile is like a ray of sunshine. I am ever so happy to hear you are doing better and please know I will continue to pray for you.

    Your taco soup and apple crisp have my mouth watering...what a perfect meal to enjoy during the colder months. Thank you for sharing!

    Sending love and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debby in Kansas, USANovember 7, 2018 at 1:16 PM

    You look mahvelous, dahlink!! Love the apron & that beautiful backdrop God gave you...all those leaves!

    Taco soup is a winter favorite around here and that recipe for apple crisp looks simple and tasty- two of my very favorite things!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh those recipes sound so yummy. Must try them soon! I will always keep praying for you! I appreciate your prayers and love greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look at you! You look fantastic. I'm so happy to see you looking so well. I've been praying for you ever since you told us about your diagnosis. You are living proof that God is good!
    Baggysmom

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I first saw this I thought, how good you look! I love ladies in long dresses and aprons. I really do! You look pretty! The recipes sound delicious. Thank you Laura.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor