Sunday, March 14, 2021

Thrifty Things Lately at Harvest Lane Cottage #160

Hello everyone! Recovery is going well. Thank you all so much for your prayers. I looked back and saw that my last Thrifty Things post was in January! Gasp! So here are the things that came to mind when I thought about just what we've been doing...besides  writing lots of letters!

  • Snow ice cream using sweetened condensed milk from Aldi bought last Christmas poured over a bowl of snow. 
  • My Lowell fixed the bedroom door using a dowl rod. The screws had stripped the wood and they needed to be put back in so that the door would stay on the hinges.
  • I cut off the frayed edges on my old towels and zigzagged the edges using thread left over from other projects.
  • I patched a towel. It worked amazingly well.
  • Bought a like new blue dress shirt for $2  and a suit jacket for $5 at a thrift store.
  • My Lowell bought 4 dress shirts $10 on clearance!
  • He also went to a catalog return store and bought a golf jacket for $4 (He doesn't golf, but...), dress slacks for $4, four pair of dress socks $2.99, a white dress shirt for $13.
  • I burned a candle pillar candle that I bought at the thrift store for fifty cents.
  • I knitted a total of 3 hats for charity with yarn a friend gave to me. Thanks Beth!
  • Staying home saved lots of money.

  • I sewed a peasant dress and diaper cover for a friend's baby. I used fabric bought years ago for another project and vintage thread that I cannot even remember the source of. The only cost was for some elastic.
  • I'm knitting a pair of socks with yarn that was given to me. Thank you Laura!
  • We put a box under my husband's laptop to bring it up to eye level.



So, that's just some of our thrifty living since my last post in January. I set some challenges in February and did very well with them. March has been about recovery. Too much comfort food, too! 

Have a wonderful week, challenge yourself this week.
God bless you all,
Laura












13 comments:

  1. Great job on the savings! SO glad you are recovering well. Continue to pray healing prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda, I do need a new night gown. Unfortunately, I don't have an appropriate fabric in the appropriate length. Maybe I'll make a flannel one next fall. Blessings, Laura

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura, I’m very happy to hear you are recovering.
    I’ve mended many towels - new ones are so expensive and seem to take a while to break in anyway.
    My husband is having a very much needed knee replacement tomorrow morning and then we will hopefully get back to a more normal pace once he recovers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, I feel like I saved a lot of money by mending those towels. I agree. Getting new towels can break the budget.
       Father God, I pray for full and complete recovery for Rhonda's knee and patience for both of them as he heals and goes through his physical therapy. In Jesus' name. Amen.
       Hugs, Laura

      Delete
  3. Your table setting with the candle burning is so lovely!
    Your sweet baby outfit is adorable!
    You are an inspiration, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, and you, too, are an inspiration to me.Hugs,Laura

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura, so nice to see a new post from you and to hear that your doing well too ! :0) Your so talented with your handcrafts. The wee dress and hats are so pretty. I have a whole pile of fabric just sitting there and I have yet to do anything with it. I am planning to make a new nightgown, lets hope it happens :) Many blessings and healing prayers coming your way ~ Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy reading thrifty posts! The hats you made are so cute. I never hem towels, but should. We are constantly popping frayed strings off of ours! I’m glad are are healing well. 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, It was ever so easy to zigzag the towels. I think I did them all in an hour or two over a couple of days.Hugs!Laura

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear that your recovery is going well!!!!! I think we've all "wintered well" :-) I just aired up the tires of my bike with some good intentions yesterday - rode down to the mailbox and back. It's a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! We sold my bike 🚲years ago when I had little ones and no time to bike. I'd like to get one again.

      Delete
  7. I hem towels, too! Praying for your continued recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor