Thursday, June 2, 2022

Harvest Lane Cottage Summer Reading List 2022


Hello dear reader!

  It is that time again. Summertime and the living is easy... or not. ~smile~ I have lots of things on my to do list this summer. My favorite way to get things done is to listen to either my Bible app or listen to books on Scribd. Still, I can't beat sitting down and relaxing with a good paperback. ~smile~

  This summer I'm planning to finish my current New Testament Chronological reading plan, finish a couple of books that I've been listening to, finish a Bible study I've been doing, and read a couple of books for review that are seconds in series of authors I enjoy. 

  First up, A Square Meal, is about  I was inspired to read this, because my husband and I have started watching the series The Food That Built America which is about how industrialized food came about in the 20th century. A Square Meal doesn't focus on the food industry but on how individuals ate and survived in the early to mid-20th century—especially during the time spanning from WWI to WWII. It also covers much of the politics of feeding the country during the Great Depression.

 A Square Meal
Jane Ziegelman & Andrew Coe
6/3 I just finished listening to this on Scribd.

  Next, The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins. I've read a bit of this book already. It made a difference in my life after reading just a couple of chapters. I saw a short video of Mel Robbins talking about the 5 Second Rule on YouTube. It's the principle of counting backwards 5...4...3...2...1 then immediately taking action. For Robbins, and for me, the first thing to use it for was to get up when the alarm goes off instead of hitting snooze. She goes into the science behind the rule, including what your brain is doing, and talks about how to use it for other things.

The 5 Second Rule
Mel Robbins
I'm reading this on Scribd.


  I began a Bible study with some church ladies a few weeks ago about Elijah. Although the time was not good for me, and I knew it, I signed up and bought the book. As expected, the exhaustion I felt each night after work made it hard for me to make it to class. I dropped out, but I still want to finish the study even if I cannot watch the videos. Good news! I was invited to another Bible study, and guess what! They're starting Elijah this Thursday! God heard the desire of my heart!

Elijah
Priscilla Shirer
This is the Bible study book that I've been using.
I'm thrilled to find another group that is doing this study.
I joined 6/9.


  Midnight's Budding Morrow is second in the Regency Wallflowers series by Carolyn Miller. I really liked the first book, Dusk's Darkest Shores, so I signed up to review it. Watch for the review later this month. 

Midnight's Budding Morrow
Carolyn Miller
Book 2 of the
Regency Wallflowers series.
I'm listening on Scribd.
Read my review of Dusk's Darkest Shores.


  The Songs That Could Have Been is second in the Sedgwick County Chronicles by Carolyn Miller. I devoured the first book, Roots of Wood and Stone, so I signed up to review it. Watch for the review later this month. 


The Songs That Could Have Been
Amanda Wen
Book 2 Sedgwick County Chronicles
Read my review of Roots of Wood and Stone.
Roots of Wood and Stone is available on Scribd.


  While I was looking for The 5 Second Rule book to share with you here, I found a game that looks like fun, so it's in my Amazon cart now waiting for my next order. I linked it below. 

  I hope that reading my list of books will give you some ideas for your summer reading list. All of these are clean books. I don't like smutty stuff. Do you have any suggestions for me? I don't expect this list will last me very long. 

Blessed to have some reading time,

Laura

~~~

If you've not tried out Scribd yet, please do! I listen to or read nearly everything on the Scribd app. The cost is just $9.99 a month with no limit on the number of books you read or listen to. I listen nearly every day. If you use my link, you can get two months free to try it, and I'll get one free. You can also earn free months by sharing Scribd with your friends after you join. 

~~~

If you click through one of my Amazon links, and you purchase anything within 24 hours, I get a small percentage at no additional cost to you. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,
    Always enjoy your book posts! Thank you!
    I would like to encourage you to watch the videos for the Elijah study- so well done and interesting, you will get so much out of them. Later you could go back and do the book study. This was a really good study for me!
    Terri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri, Do you know where I can find the videos?

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura,
    When I did this study with my church ladies, they had the videos to watch. Lifeway has the videos to buy or rent, but I am hoping and praying you can watch for free.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri,
      I was just invited to another ladies' Bible study. They're beginning the series this Thursday. God heard the desire of my heart!
      Blessings,
      Laura

      Delete
    2. Hi Laura,
      Wonderful!! Praise God!!
      Terri

      Delete
  3. hi Laura! I am new to your blog, it looks wonderful here! I am back to blogging again after a couple years of life happening. Have a blessed weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for "talking back" to me!

I read all comments and appreciate them.
Please make sure I have your email if you want me to respond or pray for you.

God bless you! This life only works with Jesus. The next life is a continuation of this one—make sure you spend it with Jesus. Jesus is the only way to God the Father!

Your blog friend,
Laura Lane
5 Year Cancer Survivor